For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Frequent webmail site crashes

Post by spragers »

Hi,

We have a number of Russian students staying in town over the summer on a work/study program. They all use the site www.mail.ru for their email. A frustrating percentage of the time, PWB freezes when they go to send a message, and everything that they've typed is lost (XP seems to have trouble closing PWb as well, as after clicking the "end now" button two or three times, nothing happens).

This problem has happened a few times with other webmail sites like Yahoo, though not as frequently.

Any ideas, or anyone else with a similar problem?

Thanks!

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

Spragers,
I also get a few russian patrons but I haven't had any problems or anyone reporting any problems with any webmail issues. I'm still using PWB 2.04r4 though. I tried accessing the site with 2.05 and got there ok but I don't speak/read russian to have an account set up to actually send a message -- sorry :wink:

Phil
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here are a few things to look into.

The site may be opening many pop-ups. If you have PWB limited to a number of pop-ups and the site is expecting to more and trying to access the pop-ups, this can cause problems. I would try setting the "[SecondWindow] LimitCount=" or try a higher number of pop-ups. This may help with the Russian email site.

I have also seen a large IE cache cause problems. It is possible PWB is unable to clear the cache on close. Check the cache size and clear it via the Control Panel applet Internet Options.

The URL file is a heavily used file and can cause delays in browsing when stored on a network drive. If the web site relies on timing for pop-up or banner ads, this can cause problems. You may want to move the URL filter file to the local drive.

--Scott