Blocking file:

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Blocking file:

Post by Guest »

I've implemented the changes to block access to C: and D: using the following in URL.txt:

+all
+res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm
-C:\\
-D:\\

However, I've found that you can still get to Windows Explorer by using:

file:

This allows access to the "My Computer" level with all HDs and network drives shown.

How does one block that? I'm using the 10/9/2003 EXE (2.04).

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What version of Windows and IE are you using? On a XP computer with IE 6 typing "File:" gives an error message.

You should be able to add "-File:" to your URL file to prevent opening Windows Explorer.

--Scott

Post by Guest »

Windows 2000 - SP4
IE 6 - SP1 with all of the latest patches.

I've tried adding:

-File:

but it doesn't work.

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Have you tried setting OnlyAccessHTTP=True? This will also block FTP sites, though, so it may not be an option for you.

Post by Guest »

I'm considering it. I'm not really concerned about FTP. But we do have people who still need to access telnet. I was hoping that there was a better fix than that approach though.

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Hi,

I've had one patron in the last three years who has asked to use telnet. What I did at the time was to simply make a shell button that launched telnet.exe. I've long since removed it, though, due to lack of use. Perhaps the shell button would work in this case?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When typing in "File:" into the address bar on a Windows 2000 system, the IE Web Browser Control converts the address into the "My Computer" control with the following address.

::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

By adding this with the "-" to the URL filter file the "File:" will be blocked.

This is not a concern on a Windows XP system and I have not check this on other version of Windows.

--Scott

Post by Guest »

Scott,

Hmm, I thought I tried that address but maybe not the way it was listed there. I'll give that a go and see how it works.

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Yup, that works. Thanks for figuring that out!

GregP
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by GregP »

There is also a registry entry called 'noFileUrl' you can set to stop this. Just as an alternative solution.

Greg