Restricted Save/Downloading

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

jcgtech
Spectator
Spectator

Restricted Save/Downloading

Post by jcgtech »

Are there any options to list what files or file types can be saved using the restricted save options? I have Group Policy enacted as well as options in my ini file and am attempting to allow people to upload/download certain file types, docs, xls, txt without opening the door wide open. (We currently have downloading disabled due to the fact I can't figure how to disable downloading directly to the desktop) I understand anyone with experience could just rename the file when saving it to .doc or whatever, but are there any options at my disposal using restricted save options where a user could save only certain file types only to the A drive?

thanks,

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

I know Scott is working on a redesigned restricted save feature for PWB v2.05, I don't know if it includes the ability to restrict certain file types. I believe you can restrict that from within Group Policy but I'm not sure. :?

I was hoping for 2.05 to be released by my birthday tomorrow but *SNIFF* I guess not :cry:

eheh
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

Post by Guest »

In our XP environment, I disabled saving to desktop by revoking Write permissions for Desktop folder for logged in user.

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

How did you disable saving to the desktop? If I may ask

Phil
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Post by Jaysun »

I've disabled our users from saving to the Desktop and My Documents by:

- Creating a share on our server and giving the patron user only read permissions to it (I called it null$)
- Create a persistant mapped drive to that share under the patron logon on our computers (I used N:)
- In the registry set the patron user's Desktop and My Documents locations to N:\

This works very well for me. BTW, we are running XP.

Jason
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR