"Snow Crashes" With PWB 2.11.5+

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

"Snow Crashes" With PWB 2.11.5+

Post by herrmoody »

On some of our older HP desktops running Windows 7 32-bit, it seems that when a confirmation button pops up the contents of the PWB window get all scrambled and it will not recover until I quite PWB and start it again. This doesn't happen in 2.11.4, but does happen with 2.11.5 and 2.11.6. A specific example that causes this consistently is shutting off pop-ups and then going into Yahoo! mail, going into a message, and clicking on "print." I've tested this on other, newer machines and I don't see this problem, so I figure it's probably difficult to duplicate without a specific hardware/software configuration.

I noticed that in the notes for .5 that one of the added features was "Changed to default to enable GPU rendering." I'm guessing that maybe there's a bug in the graphics driver that this is interacting with that causes this problem. Is there a way to force PWB 2.11.5+ to keep GPU rendering disabled as an option (or something else that is likely to address this problem)? My other options are to try and find a graphics driver that might fix the problem or upgrade the machines.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The GPU rendering is only available in Internet Explorer 9, so although it is enabled in PWB will not be utilized because it is not available.

We will look into the issue.

I would recommend using 2.11.4 for now.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

We are running IE 9 on the machines in question, so that is a possible connection.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We added the following to PWB v2.11.7.

[Browser] DisableGPURendering=False Disables IE9 GPU rendering.

PWB v2.11.7 is available on the Beta Downloads page.

Please let me know if this corrects the issue on your computer.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

Implementing the 7 Beta version with the DisableGPURendering set to True does seem to stop the problem. I can go back and forth with that one setting set alternatively to False and True, and when it's set to false the bug occurs and when it's true, it does not.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the input and testing. There is not much changed in PWB v2.11.7 so you should not have any troubles using it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The IE GPU rendering has been disabled by default in PWB v2.11.7 instead of being enabled.

--Scott