PWB in DesktopMode

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

connie.hudson
Spectator
Spectator

PWB in DesktopMode

Post by connie.hudson »

I've had PWB for a couple of years, but I'm just now experimenting with having it replace our current shell application using the DesktopMode=True line in the .ini file. I may not understand the correct way to do this since I've run into several problems that I can't seem to solve.

These are Win98 computers that only function as PACs. I have an html page with an image link to the catalog that opens as a second browser window when clicked. I have the html page set as the desktop file. I have the inactivity timer set because I want the second window to close, but the problem is it also closes the desktop file. If I set the RestartOnClose=true, then the staff can't exit the program to shut down the computers at the end of the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Connie

les.honke

pwb kiosk

Post by les.honke »

We use Windows 2000 for our kiosks; we don't use DesktopMode but instead set PWB as the shell (rather than Explorer); we use RestartonClose so if someone closes the PWB window they get a new window at the home page. To exit/reboot you do Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Shutdown; Task Manager and all the other features of the Ctrl Alt Del window are disabled through registry entries.

Les