Questions and comments about currently under development PWB v3

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

Pheeal
Participant
Participant

Re: PWB Application Error

Post by Pheeal »

Hi Scott,

I've just asked our Platform & Infrastructure team. The application is launched in place of Windows's explorer.exe via Group Policy (screenshot attached).
All computers in question have 8GB RAM with 1-2GB system paging file. They also have Intel i5 2.2GHz processors.

Regards,
Phil W
Attachments
CustomExplorer.jpg
CustomExplorer.jpg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 7143 times

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It most likely an issue with running PWB instead of Explorer as the Windows Shell and PWB trying to restart itself. In order for PWB to restart itself there needs to be an underlying Windows Shell to do the restart.

Switch back to Explorer as the Windows Shell and use PWB in Secure Mode instead.

[Browser]SecureMode=True

--Scott

Pheeal
Participant
Participant

Post by Pheeal »

Thanks as always Scott. I've passed the info back to our P&I team, so will wait for them to come up with a change for our OPACs.
Will keep you posted.

Pheeal
Participant
Participant

Post by Pheeal »

Hi Scott,

Apologies for the long delay in replying, it takes a little while for changes like this to be agreed on further up the chain.
We have now implemented your suggested change with regards to having Windows Explorer shell running in the background. We've added the couple of suggested lines in the PWB.ini file in previous posts and subsequently updated all of our OPAC machines to PWB version 3.0.5.11.

So far we've not had any reports of PWB crashing back to a blank desktop (which it shouldn't now with Explorer running in the background). It has been a good 6-8 weeks since this change was implemented so I believe this is a success.

Many thanks for all of your assistance along the way and I wish you and your team happy holidays.
Regards,

Phil