Questions and comments about currently under development PWB v3

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

3.05.4 inactivity timer doing odd things

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi all

I was wondering if I could get a little help with 3.05.4. We are just testing this version before we deploy to all our catalogue computers, and have struck a problem.

When PWB starts and the page has finished loading, the inactivity timer starts straight away, even though I have set

Code: Select all

InactivityStartOnOpen=False
Also, once the timer runs out, it then exit's PWB rather than restarting it like it used to even though I have set

InactivityAction=Restart
Any ideas? Here are all my inactivity settings. If you need more info, please let me know and I will provide what I can.

[Inactivity]
InactivityTimer=True
InactivitySeconds=90
InactivityMessageFile=\\networksharepath\Inactivity.html
InactivityAction=Restart
InactivityStartOnOpen=False
InactivityShowDialog=True
ResetOnMouseMove=True
ResetOnMouseButton=True
ResetOnKeyboard=True
Many thanks in advance

Rob

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 3.05.4 inactivity timer doing odd things

Post by MasseyRob »

Sorry.. forgot to mention.. we are using CEF.

Cheers

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When using PWB 3.04.5 CEF or older when the home page uses multiple frames, PWB sees the navigation in the sub-frames and and starts the timers.

This is correct in PWB 3.05.5 CEF by only reacting to the mainframe on the page when setting or resetting the timers.

PWB 3.05.5 is currently available on the Beta Downloads page and is in final testing for release.

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi Scott

Thanks for that. Interestingly, we are not getting that happening with 3.05.1cef. No worries, I will give 3.05.5cef a shakedown and see if it will do the job. I know it is a "how long is a piece of string question, but when is .5 likely to come out of beta? If it works in our environment, it would be good to give my bosses some idea on when we can upgrade.

Thanks again for your help

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB CEF 3.05.1 uses Chrome 61. The issue was introduced with the newer versions of CEF.

We are hoping to have it fully tested and released by the end of the week. Not many changes other moving to Chrome 73.

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi Scott

Good to know. I will shakedown .5 now and see if it will suit our needs. Just out of interest, do you have an RSS feed I can join to inform us of when you post updates to PWB?

Cheers

Rob

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi Scott

I have just tried the 3.05.5 beta, but unfortunately it is still doing the same thing (starting the inactivity timer when the page has loaded). On the bright side, the browser is restarting once the timer has run its course.

Is there something I need to change in the INI file to sort this, or is it deeper than that?

Cheers

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What is your home page set as in the INI file?

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

I have tested two..

http://kea.massey.ac.nz/search~S6
http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,guest&custid=s3027306&groupid=main&profile=eds4
Cheers

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Using an unedited INI file with PWB CEF 3.05.5 only changing the home page, the registration information, and enabling the inactivity timer the timer does not start with http://kea.massey.ac.nz/search~S6 as the home page.

Email your INI file to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com as an attachment.

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Sent.

Many thanks for this.

Cheers

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The additional home tab is causing navigation which starts the timer. Add the following to your INI file.

[Inactivity]
ResetOnNavigation=False

You may also want to add the PWB Add-on PWBIdler to reset the timer on mouse movement within the browser window. We are planning on making this an integrated part of PWB as the Multi-Threaded aspect of CEF is not passing along the mouse movements to PWB.

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi Scott

Thank you for that. I added the line to the INI file, and it worked a treat.

However, I added the PWBIdler also, and it put me back at square one (the timer starting as soon as PWB had loaded the pages). I think if we are going to have to live with one annoyance or the other, I think the inactivity timer not starting every time the browser starts and the pages loads wins out. However, if you need some testing done with this, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist.

One last little niggle, I have noticed that sometimes in v3.05.5, when the inactivity timer has finished timing out, and the browser closes, where it is supposed to restart, it does not. This is a bit of a problem as we have PWB running as our shell, and would cause considerable disruption if all our catalogue computers were sitting there with nothing more than a black background because the browser didn't restart. Any ideas on that one (or is this a beta bug)?

Cheers

Rob

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Set your inactivity action to exit and your restart on close to true.

[Inactivity]
InactivityAction=Exit

[Security]
RestartOnClose=True

We also just uploaded PWB 3.05.5 CEF Release Candidate 1 to the Beta Downloads page. This version included a reworked inactivity timer that is a more consistent.

--Scott

MasseyRob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MasseyRob »

Hi Scott

That is an excellent improvement. One thing though, if we close the browser manually, it will periodically not start again. I made the changes you suggested to inactivity and security, but we are still getting instances of the browser not starting again after closing. Any ideas? Are there any log files you need that would help with this (due to the nature of the machine, I can't get to the windows logs, so PWB logs would be best if it stores them)?

Cheers

Rob