Download open option

Questions and comments about currently under development PWB v3

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

luvmystang
Observer
Observer

Re: Download open option

Post by luvmystang »

I have a question about the execute.txt file. I would like to have Excel, Word, Outlook and Text attachments launch from a PWB offered site. Instead of opening the attachments it's trying to download the file which fails due to restrictions. I already have other entries in the execute.txt file such as !application/SAP which are properly allowing SAP applications to launch within a new tab in PWB. But I cannot figure out how to do the same for Word, Excel, etc. attachments. I've tried !application/msword or !application/docx and neither of those work. PDF documents don't have this issue, they are launching, however, they are not allowing the user to download those files. I know there is the "+" = Download file option. Do I need to specify +PDF, for example, to allow PDF files to be downloaded?

Also, I'm interested in the "#" = Navigate to file in PWB. Could that be used to do any of the actions I've mentioned and if so, what would that look like?

Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Chrome (CEF) is not able to open Microsoft Office Documents directly, they need to be downloaded and opened in their native applications.

Internet Explorer can open Microsoft Office Documents. You could use the following settings to have PWB open the Internet Explorer mode for a given URL.

[Browser]
CheckOpenIE=True

[Files]
CheckOpenIEFile=ie.txt

The "CheckOpenIEFile" file works just like the PWBN URL filter to determine if the URL will be opened in IE or CEF.

Similar to this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3258

--Scott

CCPL
Spectator
Spectator

Post by CCPL »

Hello,

I am having a similar issue. When a patron selects a file to open in Word from our databases (mostly Gale Legal Forms), it tries to save the file and pops up the following error message...''make sure the path or internet address is correct." I made sure CheckOpenIE=True in browser and CheckOpenIEFile=True in file.

When I tried changing the CheckOpenIEFile file suffix to "=ie.txt" I get an error message that states, " C:\TEAMSOLUTIONSOFTWARE\PWB\ie.txt was not found."

Any advice would be appreciated