Install/uninstall process

Questions and comments about currently under development PWB v3

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

DoctorBrown
Observer
Observer

Install/uninstall process

Post by DoctorBrown »

I see the install process is very basic, but given that this is intended to be run as an application, why is it not using the Windows install process so that it can be 'officially' uninstalled when necessary?

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 in a vitual environment as test bed. But will deploy into a real Windows XP Pro SP3 system when I have this setup the way I want.

This may be related to another issue I had. when I initially installed this in my Virtual test environment, and started PWB.exe, it caused the Windows 'Open File - Security Warning'. I had to open properties and Unblock the program to avoid the warning.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Install/uninstall process

Post by Scott »

PWB was designed to be fully contained in a single folder, to un-install PWB simply delete the folder.

You can even run PWB from a network location without even putting PWB on the computer.

Please note, PWB version 3 uses the new Windows 7 toolbars, and although they will work in Windows XP you may have issues. Windows XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft except for security patches.

--Scott

DoctorBrown
Observer
Observer

Post by DoctorBrown »

I agree that our XP Pro install is getting long in the tooth. But It appears upgrades to Win 7 isn't in the budget right now.

On Win XP, what types of issues should I be on the lookout for? Are there ways that I can avoid them?

Thanks for the quick reply.

John

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What we have heard reported is the Toolbar buttons may disappear, or the status bar will fill the screen. The issue seems to be rare and we are looking into it.

--Scott

DoctorBrown
Observer
Observer

Post by DoctorBrown »

Thanks if we encounter issues, at least it will be a known issue.

John