CybraryN or other patron authentication software?

Tips and tricks with other software for securing computers for public use.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

mwong
Observer
Observer

CybraryN or other patron authentication software?

Post by mwong »

Is anyone familiar with CybraryN (http://www.cybraryn.com)? This software basically provides patron authentication and control for public computers.

Many of our library residential patrons are complaining that they cannot get on a computer, because they are being used by our flood of non-residential patrons. Therefore we are looking at some sort of authentication products to control access to our computers (i.e. enter your library card to gain computer access).

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this or similar products?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You may want to check out the PC-Check out system detailed in this post.

http://teamsoftwaresolutions.com/phpBB2 ... .php?t=445

--Scott

mwong
Observer
Observer

Post by mwong »

Thanks Scott.

Have you used this program? I am shy about using custom apps if at all possible. With PWB being the exception, I am worried about support/fixes with any custom app.

Also our current library config has over 130 public computers, and appears this product is for a small scale library.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We have not used PC-Checkout directly, as we are a private library and thankfully do not need such as system, but I have worked with Ben quite a bit while devleloping PWB, and have taken a look at the software. It seems to be well written and well supported.

Of course I am a fan of small business developed software. When an application is written, and supported by a small dedicated team, issues can be addressed much faster then they can be when supported by large corporations.

I would give it a 30 day look. You do not have anything to loose but some time and may benefit from it.

For the record, we are not affiliated with Ben and do not benefit from anyone using the PC-Checkout system, so our opinions are unbiased.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You know it is possible using just PWB to limit user time based on an ID.

If you could validate the patron's library card via a web page, you can use the PWB External Dynamic Java Commands to set the PWB activity time from the web page.

I have helped a few net cafe's set up PWB in this way using a credit card to purchase time. I do not see any reason why you could not use a library card and the patron record to limit time on the browser with a bit of web programming.

--Scott