Preventing users from accessing printer preferences

Tips and tricks with other software for securing computers for public use.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

Rocco
Observer
Observer

Post by Rocco »

Does anyone know of a way to disable the Preferences button that appears in the Windows Print dialog box? I'm trying to figure out a way to prevent users from changing color options. I'd like to pull this off without purchasing additional software. Any ideas? Thanks.

Rocco

GregP
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by GregP »

If you only want to do this for the Internet, then the Print Template I built does exactly that. It's in the PWB2 forum :

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... .php?t=424

Make sure you download the last version (on page 2)... and also keep in mind that I'm still fixing bugs that people identify.

I don't know of a workable solution for other applications (like word) yet, but I am working on one when I find the spare time.... which seems disappointingly infrequent :cry:

GregP

Rocco
Observer
Observer

Post by Rocco »

Greg,
I saw your template and it looks great. Unfortunately, I need to disable it for all apps. I used to use Cooler (Fortres Grand Corp) to do this but I don't have the budget to purchase more software, not to mention it looks like they stopped development on Cooler.

Rocco

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I beleive it is possible to edit the Windows standard Print Dialog using a Resource Editor and remove the button. This would affect all applications using the standard print dialog. When I get a chance I will look around for the proper DLL to edit.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here is how to do it editing the Windows Resource. Warning attempt this at your own risk.

Download the free Windows Resource editor Resource Hacker.
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Back up and edit the following file in the Windows System32 folder.
COMDLG32.DLL

Edit the following Dialog Resources.

100 - 1033
101 - 1033
1538 - 1033

Disable the Preferences button by right clicking it, select Edit control and set the WS_DISABLE style.

Save the COMDLG32.DLL.

If you have System Restore enabled Windows may put this file back to the original so disabling the System Restore may be needed.

--Scott