PC Checkout - public computer control

Tips and tricks with other software for securing computers for public use.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

PC Checkout - public computer control

Post by spragers »

Hello,

A couple of years ago, the library at which I work had been looking for a solution to managing our public access computers. We started with sign-up sheets, and tagboard holders for library cards, but they required excessive staff intervention, and seemed confusing to library patrons. After deciding that products like Pharos were far too expensive for our small library (8 public access computers), I decided to develop something in-house. The result is what I call the PC Checkout system (listed, with Scott's encouragement, on the Links page, or directly at http://www.spragers.com/PCC/temp.html).

The PC Checkout system is a set of programs which handle the sign-up of public access computers. The checkout station displays information about the available computers, and manages time limits and a basic waiting list. The sentinel program handles log-ons at the actual computers, and launches programs (up to 8 ) once signed on. The remote control module lets library staff remotely manage the sign-up station, validate library cards, boot users, extend time limits, etc.

Complete documentation, and installers for the three programs are available from the link above. To request a free 30-day trial license, or if you have any questions about the program, please email me at PCC@spragers.com.

Thanks for looking!

Ben Sprague

ramone_johnny

Post by ramone_johnny »

Hi Ben,
Some screenshots would be great!

Got any?

John

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Here you go - these are screenshots of the program the way we have it set up here, it would look somewhat different depending on how many stations you're managing, which programs you make available at the public stations, etc. You can even change the background colors if you don't like my choices :lol:

The checkout station (not much going on here):

The log-on program that runs on our public stations:

And lastly, the remote control program that lets you manage the system:

jemesright
Observer
Observer

Post by jemesright »

Hi...........

jemesright
Observer
Observer

Post by jemesright »

I use bzr for my version control, but the system I describe should work with any of the distributed VCS systems, such as Mercurial and git. This isn't intended to be an in depth discussion of version control, but more of a quick overview of how you can use a version control system with org to keep various computer in sync and as a backup system.

Pgp, Pgp Security
:roll: