TMail and Attachments

Tips and tricks with other software for securing computers for public use.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

TMail and Attachments

Post by jenkinsj »

I see that with TMail, there's a command line option to send an attachment. Is it not possible to do this using the GUI?

TIA!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

In general TMail is designed to be ran by another application such as PWB so there is currently no way to attach a file from the GUI.

We should be able to add it if you need it.

--Scott

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

Post by jenkinsj »

I would like to suggest this enhancement. For patrons who quickly need to send an e-mail or are running out of time on a PC they reserved, Tmail is a great option for quickly sending mail to their account, friends, family, etc. Having the ability to attach a file they need would be a huge plus.

One last enhancement suggestion is a file size limitation check on attachments. Many SMTP servers have an e-mail size limitation, so if the attachment size can be checked prior to being attached to the e-mail, this would be helpful. For example, an administrator could type in a number for "Attachment size =3MB" within the ini file and based on that size, Tmail checks if the file being attached is more or less that. Lastly at the top or bottom of Tmail, it states what the attachment file size limitation is based on the ini file.

Thanks for accepting feedback and answering my question!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

TMail version 1.04.2 available on the Beta Downloads page includes the following added functionality.

[Security]
ShowAttachButton=False
FileTypesFormat=All Files (*.*)|*.*|
LimitAttachmentSize=
LimitAttachmentMessage=Sorry file size exceeds limit.

The "[Security]LimitAttachmentSize" is in kilobytes.

Use the "[Tmail]LabelText" to inform user of file size limit.

--Scott

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

Recent Changes

Post by jenkinsj »

Hi Scott,

The new enhancements work great! I have a question on one of the new features. It's kind've a feature request unless I'm doing something wrong.

You've added:
FileTypesFormat=PDF Files (*.PDF)|*.PDF|All Files (*.*)|*.*|
FileTypesFormat=PDF Files (*.PDF)|*.PDF|Word Documents (*.doc)|*.DOC|Pictures (*.jpg)|*.JPG|
It's cool how file types can be specified as well as the file type limitation in the 'Open' Window and the ability to sort them. However, if I was to use:
FileTypesFormat=PDF Files (*.PDF)|*.PDF|All Files (*.*)|*.*|
I would literally see all files when selecting 'All Files' from the drop down menu.

1.) Is there a way that only the file types allowed are filtered in the 'All Files' option?

2.) If no file types are specified, then display all file types.

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

definition

Post by jenkinsj »

Oh, and what does 'TMail' stand for? I've been going over the readme and forums, but can't figure it out. :?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The TMail application uses the Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) CFileDialog to choose a file.

CFileDialog:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wh5hz49d.aspx

It lists the file types in order of the FileTypesFormat list.

You can combine file types, for example:

FileTypesFormat=File Types|*.PDF;*.HTML;*.DOC;*.JPG;*.GIF|All Files (*.*)|*.*|

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

"TMail" stands for "TeamSoftware Solutions" Mail.

In other words we can program most anything, the hardest part is naming the program. :wink:

You may have noticed a couple of others, for example "TMessage", "TDownload", "TInactivity", ... Most are one off applications, or applications we developed for a specific customer with not other plans other then someone else may find it useful.

--Scott

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

Post by jenkinsj »

Scott,

I see that I can combine file types and sort the FileTypesFormat list. However, when adding |All Files (*.*)|*.*| I'm immediately able to view every file type and attach them.

What I'm trying to suggest is for the "All Files" option to only show files which have been allowed.

For example:

Code: Select all

FileTypesFormat=File Types|*.PDF;*.HTML|All Files (*.*)|*.*| 
This should show a FileTypesFormat list of PDF, HTML, and All Files. When selecting PDFs, you can only see PDF documents. However choosing All Files only displays PDF and HTML files. The reason for this is that an administrator specified PDF and HTML documents within the ini file.

Meanwhile, if an administrator only places ALL Files in the ini file, then every file type is displayed.

Do you know what I mean?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Right, do the following.

FileTypesFormat=PDF Files (*.PDF)|*.PDF|Word Documents (*.doc)|*.DOC|Pictures (*.jpg)|*.JPG|All Files|*.PDF;*.HTML;*.DOC;*.JPG;*.GIF|

TMail is using the Windows File Dialog API so there is not much TMail can do to control it.

--Scott

jenkinsj
Observer
Observer

Post by jenkinsj »

Thanks Scott! Now I understand! :D

To make the list shorter, I've combined file types and forced the All Files to only view specific file types. Here's what I've got.

FileTypesFormat=PDF Files (*.PDF)|*.PDF|Word 2000 +|*.DOC;*.DOCX|Excel 2000+|*.XLS;*.XLSX|PowerPoint 2000+|*.PPT;*.PPTX|Publisher 2003+ (*.PUB)|*.PUB|Text Files (*.TXT)|*.TXT|Rich Text Files (*.RTF)|*.RTF|Pictures (*.JPG)(*.GIF)|*.JPG;*.GIF|All Files| *.PDF;*.DOC;*.DOCX;*.XLS;*.XLSC;*.PPT;*.PPTX;*.PUB;*.TXT;*.RTF;*.JPG;*.GIF|