WinBatten instructions?

Tips and tricks with other software for securing computers for public use.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

GusCalderon
Participant
Participant

WinBatten instructions?

Post by GusCalderon »

I know I'm going to regret posting this 5 minutes after it goes on the board, but honestly, I can't seem to run winbatten, and I was hoping someone could give me some clues.

I have my stations being locked down via the use of a .bat file. In the bat file, I put the following command:

START c:\pwb\WinBatten\WinBatten.exe /user

Now, this should start winbatten with the hideGUI and other options running, correct? (yes, the Hide GUI Enabled button is green) All that happens is that it makes winbatten run on the task bar, but nothing else happens. What do I have to do to make winbatten run?

I also see the button 'disable/enable user mode on log on' and one called 'exit user mode', but I'm not entirely clear on what they do. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

That should start it.

What version of Windows are you using?

It sounds like it is running because it is on the Tasktray.

Are there any error messages?

Did you check any of the boxes, without checking any boxes in the HideGUI section it will appear to do nothing. (I know, I have to start with the simple things ;-)).

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I also see the button 'disable/enable user mode on log on' and one called 'exit user mode', but I'm not entirely clear on what they do. Any help on this would be appreciated.
The "Enable user mode on logon" will add/remove WinBatten to the Run key in the HKLM Hive to start WinBatten when a user logs on.

If you are in User mode, clicking the Exit User mode button will exit User mode and disable all the WinBatten Security.

--Scott

GusCalderon
Participant
Participant

Post by GusCalderon »

Thank you for the quick reply. :)

Windows XP SP 2, fairly new system. I clicked on all the Hide GUI boxes (hide start button, hide taskbar, etc), and clicked on the 'Hide GUI Enabled' button. There are no error messages displayed.

However, once in a while, when I click on the WinBatten icon in the task bar, and after I enter my password, it does give me a message saying that 'winbatten couldn't load (or find) the extensions'. I will note exact wording next time I run across that.

On the upside, I set the password and it works! :)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Make sure the "WinBattenExt.dll" file resides in the WinBatten folder. This DLL takes care of most of the HideGUI functionality.

--Scott

Tweraser Albert
Observer
Observer

Error loading WinBatten Extensions

Post by Tweraser Albert »

I click on the WinBatten icon in the task bar, and after I enter my password, I see the message - Error loading WinBatten Extensions.
The "WinBattenExt.dll" file resides in the WinBatten folder.
which wrong I make?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Apparently this is a problem and we are checking into it.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I posted a new WinBatten to the Beta page that should fix the problem with loading the DLL.

Please let me know if you continue to experience problems.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

WinBatten v1.0.0.2, now available on the Beta Page, should work without trouble.

--Scott