desktop selection

General TSS software questions and comments.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, General Moderator

Rene P
Participant
Participant

desktop selection

Post by Rene P »

I am attempting to combine two images into one. What I am trying to acheive is when a user walks up to the computer there will be a screen where there will be a selection between 1 - a student, faculty or staff which, if selected, would go to a login screen then the desktop;
2 - general prublic which, if selected, would then proceed to a generic autologin and the PWB kiosk.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

GregP
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by GregP »

I use a setup like this, although I don't involve the desktop. It's still do-able though.

Your shell is PWB in shell mode with a HTML splash screen. There are two (or more) options in the HTML, each of which launches a new instance of PWB with different INIs (Using PWB's Execute javascript feature), then closes the main window with no logoff script.

One instance of PWB simply opens your general public home page in PWB, and logs off when closed. I assume you have an auto-logon set up to return you to the front page (an access policy in our case).

The other instance has a startup script which calls your validation software and can then run explorer.exe manually. I have run explorer like that before, but never in a live environment so you'd need to test if there were any side-effects to explorer not being the shell. Your PWB window could be a small window in the corner with a confirm close dialog which explains that it will logoff the computer (which is what your logoff script does for this ini).

The only question mark in my head is the functioning of explorer. Your validation software would impersonate whichever user gives their credentials, and then launches explorer in that security context, but as I said, I haven't really pushed that area too hard.

Of course, you have to write the validation software yourself, unless you can find one available somewhere, but I've got some source code from our setup you can use if needed. That login window I made with Perl, it's designed to impersonate a user inside the domain, so you would have to be using a similar setup.

GregP