FYI - Public Access Security Tool

General TSS software questions and comments.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, General Moderator

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

FYI - Public Access Security Tool

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

Scott was gracious enough to let me post a message about the Gates Foundation Security Tool. Those of you unaware or are not using this tool, the Gates Foundation devised a security tool to lock down public pc's. Using their own registry settings and I'm sure undocumented "hacks" not available to the public, the foundation released their security tool to the public. This is the same tool they designed for their pc's that they gave out to libraries who qualified for one of their grants. They just released it on it's own. Unfortunately, they do not support this tool, but they do have a new forum where you can post questions, like here at TSS. It can be found here:

website www.pacomputing.org

Forum http://securepc.org/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

What is nice about this tool is that when you want to make changes to a user profile, you just click the icon within an admin account and uninstall the security restrictions, log off and log on to the public account, make your changes and then go back to re-enable the restrictions. It also erases any files that might get saved on the hard drive, similar to products such as Deep Freeze and Clean Slate. The tool pretty much takes care of everything that I've been looking to secure, and it works just fine with PWB. You can view or download (.pdf) the whole manual from the website.

Thanks,

Phil Boccia :)
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson