HideGUI and Windows 8(.1)

General TSS software questions and comments.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, General Moderator

BrendonKoz
Observer
Observer

HideGUI and Windows 8(.1)

Post by BrendonKoz »

I was hopeful that perhaps the HideGUI application under the BETA DOWNLOADS link was going to possibly work with Windows 8.1's start button, but it seems that even that version does not hide the Start Button. I must unfortunately hide the entire taskbar.

That's not entirely a bad thing for our particular use case since SHIFT+F12 still works, but...

...we're experiencing a weird issue with our PC Reservation software, (Librarica's Cassie) that seems to prevent HideGUI from properly running.

HideGUI, when run on its own, will hide the taskbar as expected. When Cassie runs in kiosk mode (prior to HideGUI), hiding everything except its login screen at startup, although HideGUI will run (I can tell since its icon is in the tasktray), it doesn't hide the taskbar. I just wrote my own Taskbar hiding (just the taskbar) application within AutoIT and it also had the same issue. Thankfully I can continually loop it to make sure it's hidden while a variable is set to a certain value. Fullscreen applications might cause odd problems in Windows 8 with regard to hiding the taskbar. Still don't know how to hide the Start Button yet though. :)

Is there anything that I might be able to look in to in order to figure out what might be preventing HideGUI to run? I'm not too well-versed in DLL programming.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HideGUI and Windows 8(.1)

Post by Scott »

Take a look at Start Killer. It is freeware and claims to work with Windows 8.1.

http://www.startkiller.com/

--Scott