PWB filters

General TSS software questions and comments.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, General Moderator

northbayteky
Provider
Provider

Re: PWB filters

Post by northbayteky »

Scott wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 pm "-all" denies all URLs unless a URL is specifically allowed with "+".

You could also use the [Security]OnlyAccessHTTP=True or [Security]OnlyAccessInternet=True.

--Scott
We used to use a pac file and point IE to it. I've taken a text version of the pac file which contains all the allowed URLs. Should I start with -all and then the list of allowed URLS with the + in front of each?

If I construct the URL file that way, will the allowed URLs be limited? Here's an example of some of the URLs in the list:
referenceusa.com
abcmouse.com
ancestrylibrary.com
amazonaws.com
quipugroup.net
fliphtml5.com
consensu.org

In other words, will this allow all the pages within each domain allowed? Will I need to all +all in front of each domain?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

"-all" assumes all URLs will be denied, "+all" assumes all URLs will be allowed.

If you are trying to limit PWB to a specific set of URLs start with "-all".

-all
+referenceusa.com
+abcmouse.com
+ancestrylibrary.com
+amazonaws.com
+quipugroup.net
+fliphtml5.com
+consensu.org

--Scott

northbayteky
Provider
Provider

Post by northbayteky »

That did it. You are awesome :-)

northbayteky
Provider
Provider

Re:

Post by northbayteky »

Scott wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:57 am If you are using the URL filter to prevent access to the C drive with -C:\\ in your filter file, you may have trouble if a web site attempts to use the Internet Explorer internal web resources such as the cancel page. You may want to add the resource into your URL filter file before the -C:\\.

+res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm
-C:\\

This will prevent an error if the web page tries to access the resource. Make sure your path is correct, or shorten the URL to +res://.

--Scott
Never mind!

I tried adding the +FileName.html to the URL file and that worked.

northbayteky
Provider
Provider

Re:

Post by northbayteky »

Scott wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:34 am...

For example, old URL file

-C:\
-D:\

Convert to:

-C:\\
-D:\\

--Scott
Well this just confounded me for the last few hours. We have a "special" setup in which the home page is just an html file with two links. I kept getting access denied. When I changed the entry to +C: (no backslash) the local html page finally displayed.

Of course YMMV, but I wanted to add my experience as a possibility.