HideGUI Question

General TSS software questions and comments.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, General Moderator

BrendonKoz
Observer
Observer

HideGUI Question

Post by BrendonKoz »

I would first like to say that I have successfully used HideGUI while building a PC image and think it is an excellent helper in securing a kiosk PC.

My boss was building an image on a PC today for use with an OverDrive Media Console Download Station. As we only wanted a browser window opened at any given time, and to not allow users to do much else, I suggested HideGUI. I didn't pay much attention to him after that while he was getting the PC ready, until he tried tweaking HideGUI and running it.

HideGUI seems to be holding some settings (if I toggle disable/enable the Start menu button in the INI file each time, it will hold), but unfortunately other settings are not, such as disabling CTRL+ESC to stop the Windows start menu from appearing. The most painful of issues occurring is that SHIFT+F12 does not appear to be bringing up the password popup box even though EnableOverrides is set to TRUE. Double clicking on the icon does work, however.

We are running Windows XP Professional SP3, PWB v2.10.7 with INI file version 2.10. We are not running any AddOns related to disabling controls, we are running ClearIECache v1.02 on Inactivity timer expiring.

AFAIK, my boss did not set any policies from a default XP installation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be the issue here?

Also, while I'm discussing HideGUI...is there any possibility of setting the password popup window to have focus when it appears? I typically try to avoid using the mouse if at all possible, and I can't simply set a JavaScript focus in the HTML code for the box if the window itself isn't set to focused within Windows.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Post your HideGUI INI here so we can take a look at it?

--Scott

BrendonKoz
Observer
Observer

Post by BrendonKoz »

Although we had made a few changes to the INI originally, we removed HideGUI and tried using a default INI (with all settings left intact for the version that came with the download).

We've pulling an image of one of my previous builds that had used HideGUI, and will be using that to continue from here. I'm uncertain if perhaps a Microsoft Update had caused an issue or what, but it sounds like it was a configuration incompatibility. The pulled image seems to have no issue with the key command to open the popup password window.