A costumizable PDF reader?

How can we make our software better?

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

GusCalderon
Participant
Participant

A costumizable PDF reader?

Post by GusCalderon »

After fighting for hours and hours with the "can you remove the 'save as' button from acrobat and leave the 'print' button alone" question, only to find out it's not a viable possiblity; it occured to me that if you guys made a customizable PDF reader in which those options could be turn on and off with a simple ini file, you guys would make a mint! If you guys were to develop this, I'll be first in line for a site license. :)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You just want to be able to open and print the PDF file?

Something like this?
http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ne ... atView.zip

This does require Acrobat 7 to be installed. The application can open a PDF via an open button or through a command line argument with the path to a PDF.

--Scott

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Post by Gregg E »

This is just what we were looking for also, but I can’t get it to work the way I want. We’re using PWB2. We weren’t letting any PDF’s be opened originally so this was not a problem, but now we’re letting PDF’s (forms & such) on our intranet site be opened. These PDF’s are links in the web page, so we’ll just be clicking on them in IE / PWB and having the PDF come up, not opening up the reader and then browsing a file system for the PDF. Here is what I did to test it:
I ran sAcrobatView.exe on the PC, then did the trick of telling XP that I wanted to associate PDF files with this app rather than Acrobat.
Here is what’s happening:
If I browse to a PDF via Windows explorer and click on it the secure PDF reader comes up fine.
But…if I open I.E. / PWB and click on the link on the web page that goes to the same file in the same folder it brings up Acrobat 7, complete with the Google search button, which then opens up the world in our formerly secure browser. We can’t have that of course.
And…even if the secure PDF reader does work right the first time, as in the example above of browsing to a PDF via Win Explorer, if we then click Open in the secure reader and open another PDF it brings up Acrobat to read it, complete with the Google button and all the rest!

So, obviously I’m missing something. If I had my druthers the ‘Open’ button wouldn’t even be in the secure reader; then the only way to open a PDF would be to click the associated link in I.E. / PWB, which is what we want. I know this is a bit out of the mainstream PWB question but we’d appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Gregg

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This newer version fixes the Toolbar showing after a PDF file is opened, and addresses a problem when opening a PDF from a web site.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ne ... atView.zip

--Scott

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Post by Gregg E »

I must be missing somthing. This version exibits the exact same results as the earlier one, as described in this thread; using the 'Open' button a second time opens up Acrobat, and using it inside of IE/PWB opens up Acrobat. Do I need to somehow 'un-register' the earlier version of this utility on my PC and then run this new one?

Thanks,

Gregg

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Open My Computer and associate "PDF" with the sAcrobatViewer applciation.

If you right click on the sAcrobatViewer and select properties, on the version tab the version should be 1.0.0.2.

If this is not correct then you probably have a cache server that is feeding you the old version. I have made a copy of the new version and uploaded it with a different name. This should give you the new version.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ne ... tView1.zip

--Scott

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Post by Gregg E »

Sorry to be such a pill... we still can't get it to work inside of a browser, even the new version, but even if it did we hit a show-stopper. We had missed the fact that if you ckick the 'show toolbars' button in the lower left-hand corner all of the toolbars come up including our friendly Yahoo search button. Boom - a new browser opens and our secure Kiosk user is out the door and anywhere on the Internet he wants to be. I'm afraid this is turning into a bit of a mess...

Gregg

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This version is not going to open inside the web browser. We are working on one that will but it is going to be bit.

I will see what I can do about disabling the show toolbars button.

Since our main focus is Secure Web Browsers, it may also be a good idea to check with another software developer that is working on PDF software such as Foxit, or an open source project such as Sumatra.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

--Scott

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Post by Gregg E »

Fair enough; I knew we were getting a little far afield with this one. We appreciate your giving it as much time as you did. We took a look at Foxit but we’ll dig a little deeper.

Thanks,

Gregg

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here is a Secure PDF Viewer based on Sumatra that does not allow saving.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/beta/SecurePDF.zip

This is still being developed, we will be adding print support, but it works very good as a secure PDF viewer.

--Scott

lindavk
Observer
Observer

PDF Reader

Post by lindavk »

I am seeing a similar issue with the Secure Acrobat reader as the poster below. I have downloaded the software from the link that was posted in the forum, associated PDFs with the secure reader and can open PDFs saved to the hard drive within the secure acrobat reader. When i click on a link within PWB for a PDF document the regular Acrobat is opening. Any suggestions? Is there a line in the pwb.ini file that I should be modifying for this?

Thanks!

Linda
Gregg E wrote:This is just what we were looking for also, but I can’t get it to work the way I want. We’re using PWB2. We weren’t letting any PDF’s be opened originally so this was not a problem, but now we’re letting PDF’s (forms & such) on our intranet site be opened. These PDF’s are links in the web page, so we’ll just be clicking on them in IE / PWB and having the PDF come up, not opening up the reader and then browsing a file system for the PDF. Here is what I did to test it:
I ran sAcrobatView.exe on the PC, then did the trick of telling XP that I wanted to associate PDF files with this app rather than Acrobat.
Here is what’s happening:
If I browse to a PDF via Windows explorer and click on it the secure PDF reader comes up fine.
But…if I open I.E. / PWB and click on the link on the web page that goes to the same file in the same folder it brings up Acrobat 7, complete with the Google search button, which then opens up the world in our formerly secure browser. We can’t have that of course.
And…even if the secure PDF reader does work right the first time, as in the example above of browsing to a PDF via Win Explorer, if we then click Open in the secure reader and open another PDF it brings up Acrobat to read it, complete with the Google button and all the rest!

So, obviously I’m missing something. If I had my druthers the ‘Open’ button wouldn’t even be in the secure reader; then the only way to open a PDF would be to click the associated link in I.E. / PWB, which is what we want. I know this is a bit out of the mainstream PWB question but we’d appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Gregg

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There was 2 links posted in the thread, did you download the "SecurePDF", or the "sAcrobatView"?

The SecurePDF based on the Sumatra PDF viewer works as an ActiveX control, the sAcrobatView does not.

--Scott

lindavk
Observer
Observer

Post by lindavk »

I actually downloaded both. I thought the SecurePDF software worked great but I don't seem to be able to print with it when the document opens within PWB.

So I removed SecurePDF and tried the sAcrobatView software. I downloaded it and associated it with the .pdf file type. When I open a pdf saved to a hard drive it works great. When I open a .pdf through a web link through the pwb software, Acrobat 7 is opening - complete with a toolbar.

Thanks for your help.
Scott wrote:There was 2 links posted in the thread, did you download the "SecurePDF", or the "sAcrobatView"?

The SecurePDF based on the Sumatra PDF viewer works as an ActiveX control, the sAcrobatView does not.

--Scott