PWB security?

For general issues related to PWB v1.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

GF

PWB security?

Post by GF »

I use IE6 for most of my browsing. Much as I hate most Microsoft bloatware, IE does its job pretty well.

However it's also a major virus/worm/trojan target. If I need to to go a site that I don't entirely trust, I want something that doesn't present all of IE's weaknesses.

I've used OffByOne in the past, but it's a pretty limited browser. PWB1 looks like a good solution. (PWB2 would be better I'm sure, but at this point I don't want to spend $40 for something I use very seldom.) Is it reasonably safe from Javascript worms &etc? I assume it wouldn't be vulnerable to IE-specific problems like specific buffer-overflow bugs, but I'm wondering how safe it is to use in questionable environments.

Thanks!

GF

Post by GF »

Actually after looking at the script, I wonder if PWB *IS* vulnerable to IE bugs. The Support page says you must have IE5.5 or better to run PWB. Does PWB use a bunch of IE's libraries? If so, it's probably got many of the same security holes as IE...

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

GF,

PWB is not designed as a security program. It is intended to be used in conjunction with other security measures and/or "tweaks" - but, it does do an excellent job at what it is designed for - providing a secure and customizable interface to the Internet Explorer program. It can prevent users from saving files to local drives, changing most all IE settings, etc.

For a personal use browser it wouldn't be my first choise, but in a public setting it's invaluable :)

GF

Post by GF »

Ah. So it *is* just a front-end to IE. Which means it is subject to some/all of IE's bugs and flaws. OK, then it's not what I'm looking for. I want a small/free browser that supports most websites, but isn't as vulnerable to hostile website attacks as IE. I know of Opera but it doesn't meet my needs for various reasons. Anybody know of other freebie browsers that could be used for untrusted websites?

Thanks!

Les

Mozilla?

Post by Les »

I use Mozilla at home... might want to give it a try.