changing IP address

For general issues related to PWB v1.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott

hhp_211
Observer
Observer

changing IP address

Post by hhp_211 »

:?: Is there a way to change the ip address that PWB v1 uses to acess the internet?
ie: it doesn't log on with the one it shows me in winipcfg?

Thanks this seems to be a great program! :D

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Not directly. PWB uses the IE HTML rendering engine, and thus uses the IP that IE uses. So in theory if you can change the IP IE uses then you can change the IP PWB uses.

--Scott

hhp_211
Observer
Observer

Post by hhp_211 »

Scott wrote:Not directly. PWB uses the IE HTML rendering engine, and thus uses the IP that IE uses. So in theory if you can change the IP IE uses then you can change the IP PWB uses.

--Scott
OK mabey its a silly question, but why does it show a different ip address through zone alarm, the destination address, is different from my ip address in winipcfg?

How would I change it?

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Just a guess

Post by Jaysun »

I could be wrong here...never used Zone Alarm myself.

I think Zone Alarm is attempting to protect your system by using some form of NAT (network address translation). If this is true, your computer has 2 IP addresses. One of them is the actual Internet IP address, the other one is an internal address that is created by Zone Alarm. Internal addresses will often begin with 10.0 or 192.168. Zone Alarm connects these two IP addresses. All your Internet applications would use the internal address in order to send and receive data. This way Zone Alarm can attempt to scan all network data flowing between your Internet applications and the Internet.

Hope that helps,

Jason
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR