PWB 2.10 on Windows 2000 - poor toolbar graphics

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

PWB 2.10 on Windows 2000 - poor toolbar graphics

Post by amutch »

I just installed PWB 2.10 on Windows 2000. Unfortunately, the XP-style graphics in the toolbar don't display well on 2000. Any chance that those can be modified or an alternative provided that would look good on 2000? I don't have a problem with the XP-style buttons. But it should at least look decent.

Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can easily change the graphics on the PWB toolbar. We are working on a 8 bit color graphics set for the toolbar which will be available shortly for download.

Here is an excerpt from the PWBv2 documentation on changing the toolbar graphics.

Alternate Toolbar and Animation Graphics
PWB can display alternate graphics for all the Toolbars, and the Working Animation.

Toolbars
To specify alternate graphics for the toolbars, PWB uses a naming convention in the “ToolBarIconFolder” to change the graphics. The graphics in the “ToolBarIconFolder” are single files that are either Bitmaps or Icons. The naming convention follows the [Buttons] section key names except for the “popup” button which needs to graphics, one for “popup-on” and one for “popup-off”, and does not include the separators. There are three states to the buttons and each button can any or all the state graphics created. The three states are “Enabled”, “Hot”, and “Disabled”. The only state graphic file that needs to be present to change the default button graphic is the enabled graphic which is a bitmap or icon file in the tool bar icon folder with the name of the button from the [Buttons] section of the INI file.

For example to change the “Forward” button graphic, create a bitmap or icon file called “forward” and place it in the toolbar icon folder.
This will change the PWB Forward button graphic to the file you created for all three states. To change the other state graphics of the button, create the graphic and append n “-d” for the disabled state, and a “-h” for the hot state, onto the file name.

For example if we are using icon type files and are changing the three states for the “Forward” button graphics, we would need to create three icons with the following names.

Forward.ico
Forward-d.ico
Forward-h.ico

These three files when placed in the PWB toolbar icon folder will change the forward button graphic.

You can use bitmap or icon graphics, the icon type files, although more difficult to create, tend to yield better results.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here are the 256 color toolbar graphics for PWB. These can also be found on the Graphics web page.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/gr ... bar256.zip

--Scott

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Hi Scott,

These work fine on our NT station as well *except* for the font size icon. What is the icon filename for this button?

Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Sorry, that should be "textsize" and not "fonts". I have corrected this in the zip file.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Odd

Post by amutch »

I thought it might be a resolution issue but when I adjusted my monitor resolution, I'm still seeing the bad display on some (but not all) Windows 2000 PCs. Any ideas? I haven't tried the 256 color set yet.

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Thanks Scott, that did the trick :)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It is not a resolution or color problem on the computer, it seems the Windows Toolbars PWB utilizes that come standard with Windows NT/2000 do not like the 24 bit buttons in PWB v2.10.

The computers may be using different versions of the Windows Common Control DLL (Comctl32.dll) accounting for the differing results on your computers.

I have seen this happen on Windows NT computers that did not have Internet Explorer 4.0 installed before having Internet Explorer 5.0 installed. It is probably similar on the Windows 2000 computers.

For Windows 9x/NT you should be able to install the new Comctl32:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Otherwise, using the 256 color button graphics will correct the problem.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll give that a go.