mySpace problems

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

mySpace problems

Post by amutch »

Is anyone else encountering problems with MySpace causing PWB to completely freeze up? We're running Version 2.09.2 and on computers running Windows 2000 and XP, we've seen MySpace pages cause PWB to completely lock-up into a state where it's reduced to gray boxes on the screen. We've had it reported enough times to know it's not a one-time occurence. I'm leaning toward this being more of a system resources issue but just wanted to rule out PWB as being a part of the problem.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Any particualr part of MySpace? Just clicking around with PWB v2.09.2 using a stock INI file I do not seem to have any problems.

If you think it may be a memory related ussue, try setting the following in your INI file.

[Browser]
MinimizeMemoryUsage=True

This will reduce the memory footprint of the IE control to less then 8 MB, down from 20-80MB it can use overtime.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

I'll have to ask my regulars to let me know. But I'll also try changing the INI to see if that helps.

Andrew

Chela
Observer
Observer

We have the MySpace problem on our IE computers too

Post by Chela »

MySpace routinely freezes our Gates machines with IE 6, so it's not a PWB-only problem. Apparently users can add all sorts of memory-intensive bells and whistles to their personal pages so some may cause problems while others don't.

chrism
Participant
Participant

Post by chrism »

We ran into this issue with MySpace several times a couple of Saturdays ago. Two clues helped me circumvent the issue, at least temporarily.

The near blank window that appeared and froze PWB showed "self.focus()" in the upper left corner, and a hyper patron who repeatedly clicked the mouse and hit the keyboard while I was trying to troubleshoot the problem somehow managed to flash the desired MySpace page for a fraction of a second.

I guessed that a MySpace advertiser poorly programmed a popup ad to grab the focus and maximize its window, thus hiding the desired MySpace page.

Once I disabled popups in pwb.ini, the problem disappeared. I have since re-enabled popups and have had no more reports of this problem.

At the time, we were running v2.09; I have since upgraded to v2.09.3beta (which has been working very well--thanks Scott).

Chris

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

"The near blank window that appeared and froze PWB showed "self.focus()" in the upper left corner"

We've had reports of this happening too. We don't have pop-ups disabled. Has anyone encountered any significant problems with pop-ups disabled?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you running PWB as the Windows Shell?

Does anyone have the steps to create the problem. Using PWB v2.09 with a stock INI file and clicking around My Space for more then 10 minutes I am unable to duplicate the problem.

Instead of disabling pop-up windows, you can disable unrequested pop-up windows, or use the PWB_OptIn utility to enable the Windows XP SP2 pop-up filter, to allow pop-up windows but block unrequested ones.

--Scott