WinXP and 98

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

tloga@mppl.org

WinXP and 98

Post by tloga@mppl.org »

We are nearing our first WinXP public computer install (we've had XP staff computers for almost a year). I noticed there are different downloads for Win98 and WinXP.

-- can win98 and winxp systems still run the same networked EXE?
-- what, if anything, needs to be done differently on XP systems?

TIA
Tim Loga

chrism
Participant
Participant

Post by chrism »

I run the same networked PWB.EXE on WinXP, Win2K, and Win98 PCs. I have versions on both Win2K and NT servers. My work machine is WinXP, and our client PCs are a mix of Win98 and Win2K.

I test all PWB versions and configurations from my XP machine, and run them off Win2K/98 machines. I don't do anything differently for my XP machine than for any of the others. PWB works great across the different flavors of Windows. It's made my job easier (thanks, Scott).

Chris

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The difference in the downloads is Xp includes the MSI installer and older version of Windows do not.

The easiest way to install PWB is to get the manual install and unzip it where you want PWB installed. The installers just copy the files to a folder and create the Start Menu icons. If you can create your own Start Menu icons or do not have a need for the icons in the Start Menu, get the manual install.

--Scott