Display Problems

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

wgragg
Participant
Participant

Display Problems

Post by wgragg »

We use PWB for our Public Access Catalog terminals using Horizon Information Portal from Dynix. For the most part it works fine, but we do have some annoying issues.

Sometimes I will walk by one of the machines and the screen will not be showing anything but the background of the page. Sometimes it will show only the frames for the graphics and sometimes I will be a cascading repetition of one of the screen elements with the colors used in one of the screen savers.

When this happens, I am usually not able to use the back button or even the home button and have to logoff and back on. Even then, when I bring up the dialog box, it does not look normal. It is all gray including the text area. There is no cursor and the letters I type are not ehoed back to me.

These machines are running XP SP1 and PWB is set to kiosk mode. I also have a dummy proxy with one exception to prevent patrons from surfing the net on these machines. We are running v2.5 of the software, but have had the problem since we first installed (2.4).

I will be happy to share my ini file with anyone who needs it. Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks,
Wendell Gragg
Bryan Public Library
Bryan, Tx
wgragg@bryantx.gov

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here are a few things to try.

Check for Spyware or viruses? These can sometimes cause funny problems.

Clear the cache. Large caches can cause display problems in both IE and PWB.

The current version of PWB is v2.05 revision 4, you may want to just copy the new EXE over the old EXE to benefit from any bug fixes.

PWB v2.06 will recreate the IE browser control when the cache is clear via the clear cache on home. This gives the browser an opertunity to refresh itself and start new.

--Scott

wgragg
Participant
Participant

Post by wgragg »

I've checked for spyware and viruses, though these don't even surf the net, so that vulnerability is minimal.

I will try the cache idea and see if it helps. If it doesn't, I will install either 2.054 or 2.06.

Just trying one change at a time.

Wendell