Can not open file - TDownload tries to save it

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Can not open file - TDownload tries to save it

Post by Oleg »

When I click on the link to open Power Point (.ppt) or PostScript (.ps), or some other files in PWB, TDownload dialog comes up offering to save it instead of opening the file. I have applications installed to view these files, and the File Types are configured correctly for those extentions.

Everything works fine with .PDF files - files open in Reader within browser window.

We are running PWB2.05 r1 on Win XP SP2rc2.

Any suggestions?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Does XP SP2 allow opening of Office Documents inside the browser window or do you have Office set to open inside the browser window? If not PWB first has to download the file then open it with the application, TDownload will interupt this process.

--Scott

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

We do not have Office installed, but rather different viewers. Power Point Viewer 2003 for .ppt files, GSview for .ps files, etc.

Is it possible to exclude files with certain extentions from being downloaded using TDownload? Just let them download and open in the appropriate application.

Since no one has asked about this problem with TDownload, I am hoping there is a way around it.

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

How would you make sure that office documents are set to be opened within a PWB browser window? Where do I look?

:?:

Phil
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

Do you have any information on this topic? We are trying to deploy v2.05 before next semester starts, and without restricting downloads in some way it will not be possible.

Thank you.

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

Oleg,
If you don't want any downloading of attachments at all, just go into IE's options and under the security tab ---> custom level, scroll down til you see "File Downloads" and set it to disable. If you have XP SP2 installed, you will see an extra radio button there asking to allow prompts before downloading, you might want to disable that as well. But, if you plan on allowing saving files from the net then you need to install and enable Scott's TDownload. Just remember that they won't be able to download attachments from a web based email account. You might come to look at that feature as good security- or not. I am also waiting for the TDownload to be fixed, as are probably a lot of other people but Scott has hit a wall with Microsoft and is really trying to find a workaround. Until then we just have to wait. :wink:

Philip
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

Philip,

Thanks for your reply. We have to allow people to download attachments/documents/files, and my problem is that TDownload opens "Save..." dialog for every file (except PDFs, I am guessing because of Acrobat Reader BHO), and we need some files opened within application (like Power Point Viewer) instead of saved. I was hoping that there was some kind of work around, for instance permitting to specify which file extentions are allowed to open, and save everything else. I guess not... Looks like we will be stuck with 2.04 for another semester :(

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You should take a look at using MMC and the Windows Group Policy to secure the computers hard drive.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... c.php?t=17

--Scott

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

Scott,

Thanks for the thread. That is what I've been doing since yesterday, and it looks good. BTW, I found this resource to be helpful - I posted it to the other thread as well: Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives in My Computer for Windows 2000; http://support.microsoft.com:80/support ... 1/2/89.asp

Thanks a lot!

Oleg