.ashx link doesn't open

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

.ashx link doesn't open

Post by Oleg »

When we are accessing Thompson One database, and need to download PDF from it, the database does it via .ASHX link. Which works fine in IE - opens PDF within a new web page pop up, but in PWB - gives Internal error 500 message. Any ideas how to make it work?
Attachments
500.png
500.png (87.57 KiB) Viewed 23874 times

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .ashx link doesn't open

Post by Scott »

The screen shot attached to the above post is of Internet Explorer and not of PWB. In order for the site to work in PWB v2 it needs to work in Internet Explorer.

--Scott

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

Well, it does work in the IE - if the site is opened there. Apparently, the .ashx link opens in IE from within PWB, and fails because IE does not have credentials to access site. How can we make .ashx link open in PWB instead of IE, and display PDF file?
Attachments
IE_works.png
IE_works.png (251.47 KiB) Viewed 23869 times

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What version of PWB v2 are you using including the minor revision number, for example "2.11.9"?

Try adjusting the Compatibility Mode PWB is using. By default PWB uses the version of IE installed on the computer but not all web sites work with the newer versions of IE and IE is able to switch on the fly.

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=11001

- or -

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=7000

- or -

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=9000

etc...

You could also try using PWB v3 CEF which is a Chrome based version of PWB and does not have the compatibility issues of IE.

--Scott

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

PWB version is 2.11.9

I tried adding IEBrowserEmulation=11001 to INI, since PC has IE 11 installed - same behavior.

This database specifically requires IE, and does not work in other browsers, because of underlying .Net programming.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Try the other settings as well, the site may not work with the IE11.0 ActiveX control. IE itself is able to switch between compatibility modes on the fly, the IE ActiveX control PWB utilizes cannot.

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=7000

- or -

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=9000

--Scott

Oleg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Oleg »

Tried these settings, same thing.

I also tried to set .ASHX file association to open with PWB (this file type was not listed before, so I created the file in Notepad), but it broke the DB completely (becomes frozen as I try to press any buttons in the web page interface), so I had to delete the association, and the DB started working again, with the same behavior - .ASHX link tries to open in IE window.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Is there anyway we could test the site directly?

--Scott