do you want to open or save

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

do you want to open or save

Post by cooperf01 »

I am using internet explorer 10 windows 7 and getting this message in the PWB browser and I can not open or download the file and it is a PDF. The open or save goes behind and I can not bring it to the front and the pwb.ini file has forcetofront=true.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: do you want to open or save

Post by Scott »

When logged on as the user that runs PWB set Acrobat to open PDF files inside Internet Explorer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 6b8b752ed6

--Scott

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

What is happening is I can not open or download file because it goes behind the screen and I have forcetofront =true. I do not have this problem in Version 3 but it has a security hole when you open printers you can go to find printer and get to the C: drive which did not happen in version 2.11.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I assume you are referring to the "[Browser]AlwaysOnTop=True" setting and not "forcetofront =true"

If you set Internet Explorer to open PDF files inside the browser you will not see the Save Open dialog because the PDF file will be opened directly in the browser and the Save Open dialog will not be displayed.

For example starting with an unedited INI file, setting "[Browser]AlwaysOnTop=True", searching for ".pdf" in Google, and clicking on the first PDF file link produces the attached screen shot.

Perhaps an alternative would be to set "[Browser]AlwaysOnTop=False" and using either the PWB secure mode, HideGUI, would achieve better results.
I do not have this problem in Version 3 but it has a security hole when you open printers you can go to find printer and get to the C: drive which did not happen in version 2.11.
How are you preventing access to the C Drive from the PDF viewer?

Is it the Chrome or Internet Explorer version of PWB v3 that has the security issue with the printer and what are the steps to re-create it?

-Scott
Attachments
PDF displayed inside PWB
PDF displayed inside PWB
pdfdisplayed.png (113.79 KiB) Viewed 23146 times

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

Here is the security hole for the printer in V3 pwb.

See attached file version3.png
Attachments
version3.PNG
version3.PNG (231.18 KiB) Viewed 23119 times

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The Find Printer button is also available in PWB v2. How are you getting around this in PWB v2?

--Scott

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

This does not happen in PWB v2. It is just a print button which prints what ever page they want.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB v3 IE is able to print to the default printer without showing the printer selection dialog that contains the "Find Printer" button.

Currently PWB v3 CEF can not do this as the CEF HTML Rendering engine needs to print via the Windows Print selection dialog. Once this is added to CEF we will add it to PWB CEF.

--Scott

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

I am using the IE engine not the Chrome engine for PWB v3. Those shots are from PWB v3 with internet explorer 10 as the engine on Windows 7.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here is PWB v2 on Windows 7 with IE 10.
pwbv2print.png
pwbv2print.png (94.29 KiB) Viewed 23100 times

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

I add the print button in the PWB v3 because the other button is under the wrench where students will never look. It is the adding of the print button in PWB v3 that causes the problem. You need to move the print view back to how you had it in PWB v2. Our students will not think to look or search for the print button or use key strokes. It needs to be a button on the bar like before.

cooperf01
Participant
Participant

Post by cooperf01 »

That does not happen in our PWB v2. We never get that pop up page it just prints. We have the kiosk locked down with limited button options. Ours does not look like yours. Yours looks like internet explorer is running ours does not.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

In PWB v3 IE by default the Print button is displayed on the toolbar and prints directly to the default printer.

Is the following setting present in your PWB v3 INI file?

[Printer]
ShowPrintButtonDialog=True

--Scott