Error when Launching a Desktop shortcut

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Rpeck

Error when Launching a Desktop shortcut

Post by Rpeck »

I need to make a short cut to Homework helper on some of my PC's running PWB. But when I launch that shortcut from the desktop under NT4 I get

"Cannot find the file "http://www.*****.com" (or one of its components) make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

You click OK and I get

"Unable to open internet shortcut "C:\winnt\PATHNAME" *****.URL"

I click OK again and it goes to the page I want it to go to, and everything works fine. I fear these messages are going to be quite confusing to the patrons though.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank You,

Robert Peck

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Open Windows Explorer. On the Tools menu click on Folder Options. On the File Types tab scroll down to the following key.

NA (None) - Internet Shortcut

Click the advanced button. Click Edit for the open Action. Uncheck Use DDE. This should fix the problem.

This can happen when using a third party utility to set PWB to the defauilt browser such as "Set Browser" from PC-Tools.net. We are working on a better way to set PWB as the default browser and it should be available soon.

--Scott

Post by Guest »

Does this pertain to Windows NT 4? I see all the settings you are talking about on my W2K PC, but not on the NT PC I am having the issue with.

Thanks Again.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Windows NT 4.0

Open Windows Explorer. On the View menu click Options. On the File Types tab click the Edit button for the following keys.

HTML Document
Internet Shortcut

Edit the Open action and remove the Use DDE check.

--Scott

Post by guest »

I am having the same problem on Win98, but when I check the file associations, the DDE is still unchecked, and I am still having this problem. only difference is that my pages never come up. Is there a way to get Public web browser to use the windows favorites as the browser favorites?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What versinn of PWB are you using?

PWB v1.xx will not open URL shortcuts. You need to make a shortcut to PWB and specify the URL on the command line.

"...PublicBrowser.exe" www.google.com

PWB v2 can open URL shortcuts directly.