PWB not running automatically

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

davidw
Observer
Observer

PWB not running automatically

Post by davidw »

I have searched for a similar topic, but can't find one on here.

We have PWB set to launch automatically using Active Directory Run At Logon. It was working fine until I upgraded to 2.1.1.6. I even upgraded again to 2.1.1.7 with no luck. I can click on the shortcut icon to launch it and it runs fine, but for whatever reason it won't start on its own. Any thoughts? I still have one station running 2.1.1.4 and it comes up automatically.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PWB not running automatically

Post by Scott »

It sounds like a permissions issue.

Does it work if you copy PWB 2.11.4 onto the other computer with 2.11.7 on it?

--Scott

davidw
Observer
Observer

Post by davidw »

I don't see how permissions would change just by updating the software. The software does run when manually launched, so I doubt it is a permissions issue. I have not taken it back to the older version yet, but will try that. To further clarify, in AD I have it set to run PWB.exe on logon and also PWB.exe is the only application allowed to run. All my PACs login with the same user automatically. Some of them will automatically launch the app and some won't. I will post an update once I have a chance to reinstall the older version.

David

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you logged in as an Administrator and downloaded the PWB update from the Internet and copied the new EXE over the old EXE file on an NTFS partition, it is possible the NTFS permissions bit from a downloaded file is set not allowing the file to run for the User when logging in.

Are you using the full path to the PWB.exe file?

Does PWB run if you run it after logging in? In other words take the log in out of the equation. If it does then it is a log in issue and not a PWB issue.

--Scott

davidw
Observer
Observer

Post by davidw »

Thank you for the information. Yes, when the system automatically logs in you can manually launch PWB from a shortcut on the desktop and it works just fine. That indicates it is not a permissions issue to me. I also understand it is a login issue and that is what I'm trying to figure out. Thought there might be someone on here that has a suggestion. Nothing changed at all except upgrading to the newest version of PWB. And yes, Active Directory does have the complete path to PWB.exe. I even tried launching it with a .bat file and still no luck. I'm guessing there is something during the login process that stops before it executes PWB. Today I will downgrade to the older version and see what that does.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you running PWB in SecureMode?

After logging into the computer is PWB listed as a process in Task Manager?

--Scott