Mixed Results

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Mixed Results

Post by wyoung »

I currently point to the ini file via URLINI in the shortcut. I have a website my users are accessing where the content does not display unless I remove the URLINI from the shortcut and point to the local ini file. The ini files are identical. I took an ini file that was copied via the shortcut (URLINI), made a copy of it, created a new shortcut pointing the local (copy) ini file, and the website displays correctly. Any suggestions.

Please and thanks.
WY

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mixed Results

Post by Scott »

What is the full Target line in the Shortcut you are using to start PWB.

Please mask the URLINI URL.

--Scott

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Post by wyoung »

When I use the following I canNOT see the content on the web page:

"C:\Program Files\PublicbrowserV2\PublicBrowser.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\PublicBrowserV2\PWB.ini" /URLINI="http://XXX.XXXX.XXX:82/prod/normal.txt"

When I make a copy of the ini file just copied by the above shortcut and rename to pwb_test.ini and use the following target I can see the content.
"C:\Program Files\PublicBrowserV2\PublicBrowser.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\PublicBrowserV2\PWB_test.ini"

I don't understand how the shortcut target affects whether content is displayed.
I should add; I've been using the shortcut at the top for years and haven't seen this issue.

Thanks for your response.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Try renaming the INI file on the web site from ".txt" to ".ini", and changing the command line.

"C:\Program Files\PublicbrowserV2\PublicBrowser.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\PublicBrowserV2\PWB.ini" /URLINI="http://XXX.XXXX.XXX:82/prod/[b]normal.INI[/b]"

Also note, if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 the "Program Files" folder is read only and will not work with the URLINI command line switch.

--Scott

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Post by wyoung »

I'm using Windows Embedded for Point of Sale (WEPOS) and have been using that shortcut/target since PWB v1. I'll test your recommendation.

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Post by wyoung »

Tried the suggestion, after adding .ini to MIME type, but it didn't help. My users are attempting to access a training slideshow on our local intranet. We have multiple training demonstrations (mostly videos) that they can and have accessed for years (using PWB [have since v1]). Now, the only way they can see the content on the webpage, the slideshow, is if pwb.ini is on the local machine. The page loads but the internal frame or content does not. It does not work when pulling the ini from my webserver.

I'm baffled.
W

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Using the URLINI command line switch downloads the INI file from the path in the URLINI switch to the path in the INI switch.

Is the INI file being downloaded when PWB starts?

Another aspect, the PWB version 2 executable is called "PWB.EXE". In your command line you have "PublicBrowser.exe", are you using PWB version 2?

--Scott

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Post by wyoung »

Yes, it is being downloaded. I'm using version 2. If I remember correctly, I changed the exe name, when we upgraded to v2, so I wouldn't have to change my shortcuts. I checked the exe version and it is 2.1.1.5.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When it is downloaded is it named "PWB.ini"?

--Scott

wyoung
Participant
Participant

Post by wyoung »

Yes. The shortcut works.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If PWB is downloading the new INI file correctly then it should be working as PWB downloads then reads the INI file that was downloaded.

Where are you running the Shortcut from, the Startup folder on the Start Menu?

--Scott