F-Secure flags PWB.exe

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

F-Secure flags PWB.exe

Post by amutch »

I updated our public computers to PWB 2.11.7 today by copying over the EXE. I didn't make any other changes. When I started Public Web Browser for the first time on every computer, it was flagged by F-Secure's DeepGuard scanner because of the EXE attempting a change to the registry. Although I was able to clear that, it was a bit of a hassle to have to do that on every computer running PWB. Is that something that can be addressed either with PWB or by contacting F-Secure so that it's not treating the executable as a suspicious program?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: F-Secure flags PWB.exe

Post by Scott »

PWB needs to edit the registry to setup the Internet Explorer web browser control security and configuration options. There is no way around this unless we disable some functionality in PWB.

Did F-Secure list specifically what registry keys it was concerned about?

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

It didn't unfortunately.

I think F-Secure may have a way for it to detect the EXE and allow it to make those changes without it getting flagged. I don't know if they have a process to submit the EXE for review so that it doesn't get flagged this way.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It may be detecting the PWB upgrade was downloaded from the Internet and not installed. You can try copying the PWB.EXE to a Flash drive that has been formatted with FAT32 and which will remove the NTFS partition security flags as being downloaded from the Internet and copy it back.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

OK. I'll give that a try on the next PWB upgrade.