can't place holds using PWB

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

tclib
Spectator
Spectator

can't place holds using PWB

Post by tclib »

A problem first showed itself that we couldn't place holds into our own library system using Public Web Browser. I'm sharing the solution because it was a very obscure problem in case someone else has the same problem someday.

It is specific to our Sonicwall (router/firewall) and only affected some browsers, IE8, Public Web Browser, Safari. The browsers worked fine for more sites most of the time. I've put in quotes from two sites that detail what was going on.

"Some HTTP clients (web browsers) do not follow RFC 1323 (TCP windows, "fill the pipe") and they do not send the second packet until they get the ACK for the first packet, which the SonicWALL will not do if the HTTP Host Tag option is enabled. You may notice the message HTTP method detected; examining stream for host header in the firewall log."

<link>

"At times, HTTP requests may be spread across several packets with the host tag appearing in a later packet. The host tag search algorithm can encounter a problem if this happens unless this checkbox [in the sonicwall settings] is disabled. This checkbox should be turned off if the following message in the log is seen: HTTP method detected. Examine stream for host header."

<link>

Unchecking the box involving a feature system we don't use, made things work much better! Hopefully this can help someone else that maybe using a Sonicwall firewall and PWB.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the information. I am sure it will save someone a headache in the future.

--Scott