Benefactor
Benefactor

Problem with downloads in PWB 2.16

Post by amutch »

Our set up:

PWB 2.16
IE 9
Windows 7 with SP 1

We've started to have a problem with patrons unable to download attachments from various web sites. When they click on the link for the attachment, the browser "Information Bar" pops-up with this message:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options."

When you select the option to download the file, nothing happens. In some cases, the web page opens a "about:blank" window but still no download. With some PDFs, we've found that adjusting the Adobe Reader settings helps but not consistently. This also happens with other file attachments. We've been seeing this happen over at least the past week.

When I tested this on the same computer with just Internet Explorer 9, I get prompted to download the file by the native IE 9 interface where the prompt appears at the bottom of the page. Then I can successfully download the file.

We haven't made any recent changes to PWB so I'm wondering if any recent updates to IE (Cumulative Security Update perhaps?) may not be playing nice with PWB and is causing this problem?

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Do you have a specific web site example we can test?

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

I'll see if I can find a link. We've been seeing most often in downloads of files from Gmail.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Any specific types of files in GMail?

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

PDFs

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Downloading PDF files from GMail with PWB v2.11.6 on Windows 7 with IE 9 works on our test systems.

Please send a copy of your INI file as an attachment to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It is probably do to security in IE not considering attachments in the email client a user initiated download.

You can use PWB v2.11.7 and set the following in the INI file.

[Security]
RestrictFileDownload=False

[Security] RestrictFileDownload=True Prevents file downloads not initiated by user.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

Thanks. I'll give that a try and report back the results.

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

That did the trick. Thanks!