For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

xfactor6006
Observer
Observer

Using PWB To Lock Down Browser for Inmates

Post by xfactor6006 »

Hello,

I'm new to the product, and we are currently doing a POC using Citrix to push out PWB to thin clients for inmates to use for access to some very specific websites.

I have PWB locked down fairly well by use of some Group Policies and firewall rules, however I am looking for ways to lock it down even further. Things that I am looking for:

1. Is it possible to disallow key combinations all-together? For example, CTRL+E gives us an error message saying the the "Address is not valid", but we would prefer that there is no way for them to even attempt to go to another address :)

2. I was able to disallow pop-up windows, but even though I changed the security levels in Internet Explorer, I am still unable to rid PWB of the "Do you want to display nonsecure items" pop-up. This pop-up can potentially allow the users access that we wouldn't want them to have, even though we locked things down at the firewall level. The more layers of restriction the better.

Any input and ideas are welcome. Like I said, this is merely a POC at the moment, but right now PWB is looking promising. We just have some kinks to work out.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

1. The Ctrl-E is a carry over from the new "elog" functionality. This has been corrected in PWB version 2.11.7 now available on the beta downloads page.

2. The Mixed Content warning is an Internet Explorer setting. This is set via the Control Panel applet Internet Options Security Settings. Set the Miscellaneous "Display mixed content" to "Enable" instead of "Prompt".

--Scott

xfactor6006
Observer
Observer

Post by xfactor6006 »

Hi Scott, Thanks for the reply.

I noticed that my IE setting didn't stick, so that was causing the issue with that pop-up.

So is there a way in PWB to disable different Ctrl+key combinations? Or is there simply a fix for Ctrl-E?
Last edited by xfactor6006 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Sorry, version 2.117 only addresses the Ctrl-E. I was just getting back to the other part of the question.

All other accelerators are associated with either a button and/or a menu item. Disabling the button and/or menu item will also disable the accelerator.

See the following post:
http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... .php?t=571

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you only want PWB available on the computer, try the secure mode.

[Browser]
SecureMode=True

The PWB filters can also prevent access to unauthorized web sites.

[Security]
CheckURLAccess=True

The file PWBv2.rtf located in the PWB folder has a list of all the INI settings.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

By the way PWB is being used in several penal systems. If you want I can check with a few and have them contact you with perhaps some specific scenarios when using PWB.

--Scott