[SecondWindow] OpenInNewProcess problem

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

LesH
Participant
Participant

[SecondWindow] OpenInNewProcess problem

Post by LesH »

We launch a web app that requires a login from a PWB site. The app opens and operates, in a second window that appears in front of the PWB main window (as desired). If the end user closes the window without logging out of the app, they stay logged in at the server until:

* the server's 30 minute inactivity timer actives, or
* the main PWB window is closed and restarted.

My thought is that the session is being held open until PWB/IE closes at the client. The fix should be to open the web app into a new PWB/IE process, then if the end user closes the window without logging out, their session should be cleared when the process goes away.

OpenInNewProcess=TRUE should do this I think. If I enable this setting, then I can't open ANY new apps/sites from main PWB window.

There's probably some other setting in PWB.INI that needs to be enabled to allow this to work.

Any suggestions?

Oh yes, I did download 2.11.4 and try it with the same results.

Tx,
Les

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I am guessing the web site is setting a 30 minute cookie. This would allow any application using the IE rendering engine to automatically log onto the web site.

To avoid this allow PWB to exit, set a short inactivity timer to exit, and use the clear cache on close setting to clear the cache and cookies.

--Scott

LesH
Participant
Participant

Post by LesH »

That's probably what is happening. We don't really want to exit PWB entirely though, as the end user will likely have several other apps & web sites open in other windows.

Am I correct that the OpenInNewProcess setting should work to solve this?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Unfortunately not. If it is a cookie being set, any application using the IE rendering engine will the same cookies and have access to the page.

The only way to prevent this is to erase the cookies by clearing the cache.

You could dis-allow cookies but many websites rely on cookies to function.

Normally cookies are a good thing on a personal computer, they become an issue on a shared computer.

--Scott

LesH
Participant
Participant

Post by LesH »

Looks like we corrected this by using PWBExecute to launch IE in a new session. We can kill the IE window then open a new one immediately and it doesn't remember the old session.