"Always ask before opening this file"

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

knelson
Observer
Observer

"Always ask before opening this file"

Post by knelson »

I've thawed my opac stations. I’ve downloaded the new version (2.11.4), and made sure it's copied & pasted into the various profile folders I need. Today I'm just focusing on getting the opac stations upgraded. I've renamed the current pwb.exe file in that network folders to something else. The pcs have been rebooted so they'll be using the new pwb.exe but a security warning window comes up. It shows the path to the pwb.exe file and then it has a checkbox that is already checked for “Always ask before opening this file”. I’ve unchecked that box, pwb launches normally. I then reboot the pc and that same window comes up again. Any advice of how to make that window go away? Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The warning is coming from Windows because the file was downloaded from the Internet onto a Windows NTFS partition. If you are running PWB from a network drive, the user running PWB will need to have write access to the PWB.EXE file to reset the security bit.

Otherwise, copy the PWB.EXE file to a FAT32 partition and then back to the NTFS partition. This will remove the security bit causing this.

Please note this is a Windows security warning and not a PWB security warning.

--Scott