Permissions

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Permissions

Post by jfrasier »

I have pwb.exe set to run from c: of the public computers but use an .ini file that is on a network server. This i,s and has been working great for some time.

Now I am setting up a replacement computer and am starting pwb from the restricted user's startup folder. I get a message that says "The .ini was not found...or unable to read the configuration from the registry."

For testing purposes I also put a shortcut with the same properties as the one in the startup folder and it works fine for the restricted user. This user has full control of its teamsoftware registry key.

What to do....

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What are the paths and arguments in the "Target" and "Start in:" lines of the Shortcut you are using in the Startup Folder?

You may want to consider starting PWB from the Run key in the Registry which is a bit more controllable.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

"C:\Program Files\TeamSoftware Solutions\Public Web Browser v2\PWB.exe" /ini="\\agate\pwb\pwbexNEW.ini"

"C:\Program Files\TeamSoftware Solutions\Public Web Browser v2"

I tried it from the RUN in the registry yesterday with the same result.

Jane

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB is indicating the file is not available. This can be caused by the Windows Fast Logon Optimization which causes the startup applications to start before the Network has been initialized fully. Try disabling the Windows Fast Logon Optimization.

Here is more information:
http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... .php?t=556

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

Thanks, Scott. That worked.

Jane

:D

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I thought it worked. It seems to be sporadic. I am starting it from the startup folder. Might it work better from Run in the registry?

Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We use it from the Run registry key on our computers.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

When we run it from the run in registry it doesn't have time to grab the shortcuts for the shellbar that are on the local computer.

We are still unable to make this work and I am baffled and frustrated.

Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Do you get the error when starting it from the Run key?

I am guessing you are not using the full path to the Shellbar folder in the INI file. When PWB is starting it is using a random startup folder and thus PWB is unable to find the Shellbar folder. Using the full path will allow PWB to access the Shellbar folder directly.

You could try using the CheckNet application on our Beta Downloads page. This application waits for the network to become available then starts PWB.

You could use a batch file to copy the INI file to the local computer then start PWB using this local copy, or have the PWB startup script copy the INI file locally.

You could also use a web based INI file.
http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... php?t=1058

--Scott