PWB Crashes with Ancestry Enhanced Image Viewer on Windows 7

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

PWB Crashes with Ancestry Enhanced Image Viewer on Windows 7

Post by herrmoody »

We have just upgraded to Windows 7 and I'm running PWB 2.11.1 and IE 8 here. When I install the Ancestry Enhanced Image Viewer Active X Control (mfimgvwr.ocx) it causes PWB to immediately crash (it stops responding and Windows shuts it down). Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Try setting the following in your INI file.

[Browser]
IEBrowserEmulation=8000

The Internet Explorer Web Browser control PWB utilizes for all its HTML rendering defaults to IE 7 compatibility mode when using IE 8. This setting tells the control to use straight IE 8.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and the problem still persists. I also tried changing out the INI file with the default one and just adding the license key and the IE emulation mode directive and the problem still occurs.

Specifically, what happens is the following. The browser goes to the page where the plugin is supposed to load. Almost immediately a pop-up appears which says "Public Web Browser (December 28, 2010) has stopped working -- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The only reliable information I can identify in the event logs for this crash is "Exception code: 0xc0000005"

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Is there a way to duplicate the issue without having to sign up for an account?

If not we can try the 14 day trial.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

Yes. You can do the following to test it. This process will force you to create an account of sorts, but it's not a trial membership, it just grants you access to free resources on Ancestry.

Using I.E., go to the U.K. Census Free Sample page http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/Defaul ... &dbid=6600

Do a search here for last name of "Smith". Only one record will be displayed after you get through the login process.

You will be asked for your first & last names and an email address. Provide those and Ancestry will send an email to you with a password that you can use for future testing.

A record for "Ames Smith" is found. Click on "View Record." On the next page click on "View Original Image". At this point if you don't have the image viewer installed it will prompt you to install it. After it's installed you'll have to back up in IE to the page that wanted it (the image viewing page) and allow the ActiveX control to run. It should display the image in I.E. at this point.

Now repeat the process in PWB (logging in with you password that was emailed to you when prompted). You shouldn't need to download the installer again but I did get a prompt to run the ActiveX control. As soon as I did that PWB crashed.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Perfect thank you.

Our initial test with PWB v2.11.1 with an unedited INI file did not produce an error, but it did not display an image either.

We are checking into it.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you using the 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 7?

The site works without issues on Windows XP with IE8.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

We are using 32-bit Windows 7. I never had this problem on XP, although I'm not sure whether IE had been upgraded to 8, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been. I'm sure this is a confluence of PWB/IE8/Windows 7/and this plugin.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

An update:

The viewer works in PWB v2.10.x, but not in PWB v2.11.x.

This should help narrow down the issue so we can get it corrected.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

An Update:

The site works with the non-UNICODE (Windows 2000 or earlier) version of PWB v2.11.1.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB v2.11.2 currently available on the Beta Download page corrects the issue with Ancestry.com advanced viewer.

--Scott

herrmoody
Observer
Observer

Post by herrmoody »

Thank you!! I installed the Win98 version and the problem disappeared. I hadn't seen the beta posting yet, but I'll upgrade to that soon. Thanks for investigating this problem.