Display Computer Name in PWB?

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Display Computer Name in PWB?

Post by mdstewar »

We use PWB for our library catalog computers. They are set to run in Kiosk mode. We'd like to be able to display each computer's name somewhere in the browser. Is there any known way to do this using just PWB?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You want to display the name in the page or the title bar?

--Scott

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Post by mdstewar »

Scott wrote:You want to display the name in the page or the title bar?

--Scott
I would prefer it in the title bar. We run pwb in kiosk mode so I'm not sure there is a title bar.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Kiosk mode does not show the title bar. If you were to use PWB not in kiosk mode you can add "%station%" to the [Browser]Title= line to show the [Security]StationEnvironmentVariable= in the title.

For example:

[Browser]
Title=Public Web Browser v2 (Computer: %station%)

[Security]
StationEnvironmentVariable=COMPUTERNAME

This would add the following to the title bar if the computer was named TSSWKS17.

Title=Public Web Browser v2 (Computer: TSSWKS17)

Another trick you could use would be to use a different animation for each computer with the name in it.

If you want to continue to use the kiosk mode we can add a Dynamic External JavaScript command to get the "StationEnvironmentVariable", so you could display it in a web page.

--Scott

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Post by mdstewar »

Scott wrote: If you want to continue to use the kiosk mode we can add a Dynamic External JavaScript command to get the "StationEnvironmentVariable", so you could display it in a web page.

--Scott
I like the kiosk mode and would prefer to continue using it. Would we have to include the DEJ command to the code used to display the normal web page (library catalog) or is that something I can do on each computer?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

A DEJ command would need to be embedded into a web page to display the computer name in the web page itself.

--Scott

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Post by mdstewar »

We've decided to stop using Kiosk mode, but in Desktop mode maximized with the Task bar disabled (using the PWBDisableWindowsGui add-in), there is a blue stripe running along the bottom of the screen. I've seen at least one other post on this issue, but the answer was a little confusing.

You mentioned a SecureMode and WindowsHeight, WindowsWidth, WindowsLeft, and WindowsTop settings. Does the SecureMode setting still apply with version 2.11? With a monitor running 1024x768 and 96 dpi, what should the settings be for WindowsHeight and WindowsWidth? Should I keep WindowsTop and WindowsLeft at -1? And, if I'm going this route, should I continue to use the DisableWindowsGUI add-in?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Yes the Secure Mode is available in the new version of PWB. If you use Secure Mode you do not need to use HideGUI.

The issue with the "blue stripe" is actually the background showing below the browser. Windows reserves the bottom portion of the screen for the Taskbar. The way to avoid this is to set the Taskbar to auto-hide for the account that is running PWB. By hiding the Taskbar Windows will not reserve the spot for it and the PWB window will be full screen.

Leave the WindowHeight and WindowWidth set to empty, and use the [Browser]StartMaximized=True.

--Scott

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Post by mdstewar »

Scott wrote:Yes the Secure Mode is available in the new version of PWB. If you use Secure Mode you do not need to use HideGUI.

The issue with the "blue stripe" is actually the background showing below the browser. Windows reserves the bottom portion of the screen for the Taskbar. The way to avoid this is to set the Taskbar to auto-hide for the account that is running PWB. By hiding the Taskbar Windows will not reserve the spot for it and the PWB window will be full screen.

Leave the WindowHeight and WindowWidth set to empty, and use the [Browser]StartMaximized=True.

--Scott
At first I thought running the browser in SecureMode would be the way to go. I have the browser set to run fully maximized with the minimize and close buttons disabled. Unfortunately, now when customers try to print something (using Envisionware's LPT:One product), the customer dialog box needed for them to complete their print job is "hidden" and cannot be accessed.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You should use HideGUI instead of secure mode when you need third party software that opens outside of the browser window.

--Scott

mdstewar
Observer
Observer

Post by mdstewar »

Scott wrote:You should use HideGUI instead of secure mode when you need third party software that opens outside of the browser window.

--Scott
Which is better to use, HideGUI or PWBDisableWindowsGUI?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Definitely HideGUI.

--Scott