IE8 Compatibility View

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

mikespl
Spectator
Spectator

IE8 Compatibility View

Post by mikespl »

Scott, we're running IE8 and PWB v2.11. We want IE8 mode as the default so we put the following under the [Browser] section of the PWB.ini -- IEBrowserEmulation=8000, and it works fine. However, it seems like it's one or the other (unless I'm mistaken). If you want IE8, you put 8000 in the .ini. For IE7, you put 7000 in the .ini. Question: Is there a way to allow the user to toggle between the default IE8, but have the option to choose IE7 Compatibility View if they run across a site that requires it? Like in the regular IE8 interface (without PWB), the Compatibility View button to the right of the address bar, is there somethnig that can be put in the pwb.ini to add a Compatibility View button to toggle back and forth in PWB? Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Currently in PWB the [Browser]IEBrowserEmulation= is not switchable by the end user.

We will add this to our todo list for PWB v2.11.1.

Interestingly enough the default is IE7 compatibility mode because this is the default IE Web Browser Control setting, but we are having to have quite a few people switch to IE8 mode because there are more sites that do not work with IE7 compatibility mode.

--Scott

redfadmin
Spectator
Spectator

Post by redfadmin »

Scott,

I notice that v2.11.2 is now available. I looked at the INI from the upgrade package and don't see a toggle button. Has the ability to toggle been added yet?
Also, I don't see [Browser] IEBrowserEmulation=8000 (referenced elsewhere) in the current INI. If I add this it will work, though?
Short of the user being able to toggle I'm thinking of creating two shortcuts, one for IE 7 compatibility, and one that uses an alternate INI for IE 8 mode.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB v2.11.2 uses automatic detection to change to IE8 instead of IE7 compatibility mode as this is the most popular setting.

Code: Select all

Version 2.11.2 02-18-2011

Fixed/Changed:

Changed to MFC 9.0
Added automatic detection of Internet Explorer version to set emulation.
Added automatic detection of Internet Explorer version for clear cache.
This is not changeable by the user as the browser needs to be restarted for the web browser control to change modes.

You can override this by adding the following to your INI file.

[Browser] IEBrowserEmulation=7000

In our testing and reports from users setting PWB to IE7 emulation will cause troubles for some web sites as most web sites detect IE8 or IE7 and not IE8 in IE7 compatibility mode.

--Scott