Internet Explorer 8 not connecting to Internet but PWB does

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

Internet Explorer 8 not connecting to Internet but PWB does

Post by rhbrow »

Got an infection (trojan, malware, etc.) of some kind on my computer (Windows XP SP3) in library and thought I cleared it all out but IE8 and Firefox do not connect to the Internet. Ran a scanner and it appears all is cleared. This infection altered my DNS settings and I reset them. Checked all of the other "known" settings and reset them as well. Still no luck. Now, here's the kicker;

PWB 2 on this computer connects to the Internet and I can ping any site successfully so I know I am connected.

I have uninstalled IE8 twice and uninstalled Firefox then reinstalled without success.

As a last resort, I just installed Google Chrome and it connects successfully.

****So my question is; what does IE8 and Firefox share that PWB doesn't? Can you guide me to a fix? I need these browsers working.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Does Internet Explorer work on the computer logged in with the same user account that runs PWB?

--Scott

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

Post by rhbrow »

IE didn't work on any user logged in. But...

Since I posted the original thread I fixed the problem. I believe the problem was corrupt .dll's or missing .dll's from the OS caused by this trojan I received.

I got real desperate and did a Windows XP repair using the reinstallation disc and apparently that resolved my problem. I had to reinstall IE8 and some Windows Updates since this brought my computer back to the days of IE6 but it was worth it. System is running OK at this time.

Interestingly, PWB and Google Chrome (Chrome installed during the problem) worked at the time of my problem. Any clues as to why these browsers worked assuming I was correct about the .dll's?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB uses several DLLs provided by the Internet Explorer Web Browser control, it may be PWB was only running, but not fully functional.

--Scott