Problem with PWBDisableWindowsGUI.DLL and 64-bit Windows 7

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Husker
Spectator
Spectator

Problem with PWBDisableWindowsGUI.DLL and 64-bit Windows 7

Post by Husker »

I've been using PWBDisableWindowsGUI.DLL for a long time without any problems -- until I tried to deploy PWB on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. When launching PWB, I get an error indicating that PWBDisableWindowsGUI.DLL cannot be located.

"The Add-on, PWBDisableWindowsGUI=C:\Program Files\TeamSoftware Solutions\Public Web Browser v2\PWBDisableWindowsGUI.dll, was not found"

But the path information in my PWB.ini is correct. Is PWBDisableWindowsGUI.DLL not compatible with 64-bit Windows 7 for some reason? Does the DLL need to be located elsewhere? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Windows 7 has many restrictions on the Program Files folder. Try relocating the DLL to a folder such as C:\PWB\ and see if it loads.

We will do some testing on our side as well.

On a side note, you may want to take a look at the stand alone HideGUI application as well.

--Scott

BryanDearlove
Observer
Observer

Post by BryanDearlove »

hmmm, did you get it to work with Windows 7 32Bit? I am having trouble, would love any insight you could provide. Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You should be using the stand alone HideGUI instead of the PWB add-on with Windows Vista/7.

--Scott

BryanDearlove
Observer
Observer

Post by BryanDearlove »

Hi Scott,
One issue I have with HideGUI is that I need the toolbar active in order for users to select running applications, but the Start menu removed. It does not seem to allow this option, only one of the other.

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Unfortunately the Start Orb in Windows Vista/7 is part of the Taskbar and can not be hidden or removed independent of the Taskbar as it could in Windows XP.

We are continuing to research for a way to do this but currently we have not been successful in changing this Microsoft Windows Vista/7 functionality.

--Scott

burdsjm
Participant
Participant

Post by burdsjm »

Any update on windows 7 locking down?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Not on hiding the Start Button independent of the Taskbar.

HideGUI works with Windows, it is just the one aspect that is the issue.

You can also use the PWB Secure Mode if PWB is the only thing you want accessed on the computer.

--Scott