For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

Website Not responding in PWB

Post by rhbrow »

Scott,

I sent you an email to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com regarding my issue and your recommendation (reply) to upgrade to version 2.10.8 did not work. I will try to be more helpful with the details.

The link below takes you to the website in question. Using our public computers, when one attempts to log in and clicks the "login" button, nothing happens. The page remains idle; no response. I was trying this link on my PC, running WinXP Pro, IE8 which I use as a test machine and using PWB v. 2.10.8. I am not sure what version of PWB is being used on the public computers but I am sure they are using the originally installed version (2.10.x) from Nov. 2007. The public computers are running WinXP Pro, IE7.

As I mentioned in my email to you we are running the PWB.ini file from a server.

Please check out the page and see if you have the same problem. You may have to create an account to test the login link. I can send you the server based .ini file if you want to see it.

https://www.cyberscramble.com/classic-r ... mble/login

I really need this fixed ASAP.

Richard Brownstein
LML, New York

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Does the page work on your test computer with IE8?

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The site also seems to use a void JavaScript function, you may want to test PWB v2.10.9 which specifically addresses an empty JavaScript function.

Version 2.10.9 01-26-2010

Fixed/Changed:

Fixed "javascript://" navigation.

--Scott

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

Post by rhbrow »

Scott wrote:Does the page work on your test computer with IE8?

--Scott
No, the page does not work on the test computer with IE8.

Also you suggest I try version 2.10.9. That is a beta version and I would prefer not to work with a beta version at this time.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I understand, however if there is a bug in PWB that needs to be corrected the only path is usually to use a new version of PWB. Correcting the bug will necessitate adding code which will force the recompiling into a new executable which will have to be "beta" tested.

Currently PWB v2.10.9 only has about 10 lines of code changed from the release version of PWB v2.10.8. The only reason it is in beta is because so few changes usually do not warrant a full release.

Testing PWB v2.10.9 will simply help determine if the fix that was added for the empty JavaScript function will allow the web site to work with PWB.

If PWB v2.10.9 works we will remove the beta tag from the executable.

--Scott

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

Post by rhbrow »

Scott wrote: Testing PWB v2.10.9 will simply help determine if the fix that was added for the empty JavaScript function will allow the web site to work with PWB.

If PWB v2.10.9 works we will remove the beta tag from the executable.

--Scott
I will download 2.10.9 and try it. Will let you know the results.

rhbrow
Participant
Participant

IMDB not playing videos

Post by rhbrow »

Scott,

Version 2.10.9 didn't resolve the problem but now I have another issue that is more serious than the present one. Please read on...

I updated some computers with version 2.10.8 and now the videos (trailers) on www.imdb.com will not run. All we get is a white screen where the video usually plays. Apparently these videos require Flash Player and it is and has been installed on these computers with version 10. Those computers not updated are running version 2.10.2 and they show the videos.

Does the PWB.ini file in version 2.10.8 need to be updated with additional lines (settings) to allow Flash Player to run, and if so, what lines? When installing the newer version of PWB was there a new .ini file required and how does that get installed while retaining the existing settings or can you forward the new lines to me with full explanation of their purpose?

When I try imdb.com in IE8 the videos run flawlessly; only PWB seems to be the problem here.

What needs to be done here?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Richard,

PWB v2.10.9 (03-09-2010) corrects the issue with the JW Player with Flash 10. This new version of PWB is currently available on our Beta Download page.

Please note this new version may also fix the other web site as well.

Thank you,
Scott Vermeersch
TeamSoftware Solutions

Brian
Observer
Observer

Similar problem with nonresponsive links

Post by Brian »

Just beginning to evaluate PWB for our Library and have found a number of links which don't function correctly with PWB. All work properly in IE8. Testing with version 2.1.0.9. When one of these links is clicked, nothing appears to happen. Clicking on other links (even after one of the "bad' ones) works corectly, as does url filtering.
:arrow: If you wish, see cphlibrary,org and try the links under the "Today's Events" section on the right of the page.

Our webmaster says that there's nothing special about these particular links. There are others scattered throughout our PAC with the same problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Using PWB v2.10.9 with a stock INI file and navigating to http://cphlibrary.org, all the links in the "Today's Events" seem to work without issue.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/picts/clifton.gif

Since each link opens in a popup window, did you change any settings in the [SecondaryWindow] section?

--Scott

Brian
Observer
Observer

Still stuck

Post by Brian »

It sounds like I've got some setting(s) wrong in the .ini file. I'll e-mail you the files and perhaps you can give a quick look - I tried changing several settings now, but still NG.

BTW, thanks for the speedy rsvp to my last post! :D

Brian
Observer
Observer

Fixed problem with popups, but . .

Post by Brian »

I changed the following entries in the .ini file and my problem's resolved:
[Second Window]OpenDesktopModeLink=True
[Second Window]CloseChildrenOnClose=TRUE
[Second Window]OpenInNewProcess=FALSE
[Security]DisableSecondInstance=False
[Security]CheckInitialURL=False

Unfortunately, I now get an error "failure to uninstall keyboard hook" in a PWBAddonEnd dialog box. The addon I'm using is
[Addons]PWBDisablewindowsGUI=PWBDisablewindowsGUI.dll

I don't know if there's a relationship between my changes and the appearance of this error or not. Thoughts?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

These 2 settings in particular can cause issues if you do not need the specific functionality, and should be set as follows.

[Second Window]CloseChildrenOnClose=FALSE
[Second Window]OpenInNewProcess=FALSE

See the PWBv2.rtf file for more information on the PWB settings.

Instead of using the PWB add-on PWBDisablewindowsGUI take a look at HideGUI available on the Downloads page. You can also try the following hidden until v2.11 setting but available in v2.10.7 or newer.

[Browser]
SecureMode=True

Just be careful you have not disabled exiting PWB, or you have a PWB exit override set up or you will need to reboot the computer to get out of PWB.

--Scott

Brian
Observer
Observer

Rescued again!

Post by Brian »

Changing those settings worked! Again, my thanks for a speedy reply!! I do have an override set up for the <Ctrl><Alt><Shift><Insert> key combination - is this sufficient (ie does it always cause PWB to exit?)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Yes, having a keyword set in the exit override is a good idea if you are running PWB in secure mode with the exit disabled, or restart on close enabled.

[Overrides]
ExitBrowser=setMe

I would recommend having the restart on close enabled over the disable exit in order to allow IE to exit and clear the memory.

--Scott