Computers freezing, require cold boot

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

lzevnik
Observer
Observer

Computers freezing, require cold boot

Post by lzevnik »

We're running PWB 2.10.7, with IE8, ManageIE, DeepFreeze 5.3 Enterprise Edition, and SAM 8.5. We upgraded to 2.10.7 and to IE8 about the same time. Since then, we've had problems with computers crashing and with patrons getting an error message, "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" that we are assuming is due to a group policy setting. We never got these before the upgrades. When the computers freeze, we have to do a cold boot, as Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't achieve anything. There are no settings in Group Policy that directly relate to IE except that we have it listed as an application not allowed to run. Also, it's rarely just one computer...ususally two or three go down at the same time, and it's never the same machines. Is anyone else having problems like this?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The message:

"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator"

Is defintely due to a Group Policy. If this message is coming up before the lock up, I would guess something is being blocked that needs to be ran in order not to lock the computer up.

I would start by disabling the policy that prevents applications from being ran to see if the problem continues.

--Scott

lzevnik
Observer
Observer

Post by lzevnik »

I'll try that and see what happens.