For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

ChrisHearns
Observer
Observer

Default Save Type

Post by ChrisHearns »

When patrons try to save a web page the default type is .mht

I want to force html complete as the default save type.

If they use .mht it generates an error at all times becauase apparently .mht needs outlook express which I removed it so craigslist email response links doesn't auto launch in outlook express, which was a whole other problem.

Basically how can I have the system default to html complete as the save type or remove .mht format eh drop down menu so html complete is forced as the default.

Another solution would be to add back the exact files from outlook express that .mht needs to save without actually installing outlook express. Any idea what files it needs? I'd prefer solution one, just forcing it to default to html.

Chris Hearns
Rochester Hills Public Library
christopher.hearns@rhpl.org
248 650 7128

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB uses the IE save dialogs for the logged on user, so if can you default IE to MHT, PWB will also use MHT.

Try this:

Log on as the user, go to Windows Explorer... Tools... Folder Options... View... under the "Managing pairs of
Web pages and folders", set "show and manage pair as a single file."

--Scott

ChrisHearns
Observer
Observer

Post by ChrisHearns »

Actually, the default for IE is MHT. I want to get rid of MHT. How do I change the default to something else. The setting you listed below is already set and changing it to one of the other two options doesn't affect IE from defaulting to MHT.

Chris,

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

After more research it appears there is no way to default the save as file type when saving web pages in IE.

In fact if you save as a differetn type other then MHT, then save again IE defaults back to MHT. So it seems IE insists on saving in this format.

--Scott

ChrisHearns
Observer
Observer

Post by ChrisHearns »

Do you have any idea how to find out what files MHT needs from outlook express to successfully save. Since I removed outlook to solve another issue, I can add back just the files that MHT needs, but I have no idea how to figure out which ones are needed.

Chris,

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

In researching this I remember seeing one reference to a DLL that comes with Outlook Express that was needed to save as MHT type files. I will look again and see if I can find it and post it here.

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The DLL is "Inetcomm.dll" which is installed with Outlook Express.

Reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221787

--Scott

ChrisHearns
Observer
Observer

Solution

Post by ChrisHearns »

Doesn't appear to be inetcomm.dll

But I did find the dll that would restore the MHT functionality.

Just for anyone else with the same problem in the future here it is.

It was MSOERT2.dll

Chris,