Google Mail and Adding attachments

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

stegraham
Observer
Observer

Google Mail and Adding attachments

Post by stegraham »

Hi - we've noticed a problem when trying to add attachments to Google Mail using PWB 2.08 (I've also tried using 2.10.7 and get the same problem). Nothing seems to happen when you and attach a file, whereas if you use IE you can see a brief upload icon and then the file is there - attached. DisableFileUploads is set to false in the ini file, so this shouldn't be the problem.

Is this a bug?

regards, Stephen

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

--Scott

stegraham
Observer
Observer

Post by stegraham »

On my PC I am using IE8, on the public PCs they are using IE6. The problem is the same on all PCs I have tested it on. I haven't tested with IE7 though.

Stephen

Thomas
Contributor
Contributor

Same Problem

Post by Thomas »

I just discovered this same problem today. The problem, I have found, is caused by the new version of the gmail uploading utility that requires Flash enabled browsers. A workaround that I discovered by accident is going into the settings in your Gmail account and under the Attachments heading, select "Basic Attachment Features".
We are using IE7, and have the same problem.

Thanks-
Thomas

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The uploads in gMial work with Windows 2000, so I am thinking it must be an XP security setting. We are looking for a solution.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

We're having the same problem with IE 7 on Windows XP and PWB 2.10.6.

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

This is a PWB-specific problem. I tested this on one of our public computers:

IE 7 - Document attachments are added without any problems.
PWB - Doesn't load attachment the first time I try. I have to exit the browser, restart PWB and log back into Gmail before it will allow me to attach a message. It only works for the first message. Any subsequent attempt to attach a message during that browser session fails. I have to restart the browser to get it to work again.

This is with PWB 2.10.6 on Windows XP/SP3 with IE 7 and the latest MS patches.

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

I tested this with an out-of-the-box PWB.INI file and PWB 2.10.6 to see if any of the changes I made to the default INI were causing the problem. But using the default INI displayed the same behavior.

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

I had some older versions of PWB to test and it fails on the following versions:

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It is an interaction between the Internet Explorer web browser control the Flash type upload of gMail and security in IE 7 or XP. The upload works with PWB v2.10.7 on Windows 2000 with IE 6.

I am pretty sure there is a Registry hack that should be able to allow the interaction and we are working on finding it.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

The problem must be with XP. I tested this with IE 8 on Windows XP/SP3 with PWB 2.10.5 and the problem still occurs.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It may be a problem with IE 7 or newer. We are in the process of setting up a XP computer with IE 6 to test it.

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Scott,

I rolled back from IE 7 to IE 6 on a Windows XP/SP3 box. I then downloaded and installed PWB 2.10.7. I then tried doing attachments in IE and PWB. In IE, I had no problems doing attachments in Gmail. In PWB, it failed every time doing attachments in Gmail.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

That was our results as well. We are looking into XP security settings.

--Scott

amutch
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by amutch »

Any updates on this? Is this an issue with BHOs? Or general XP settings? Just wondering if we can assist with testing to get this resolved?