Information Bar when opening file in PWB

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Information Bar when opening file in PWB

Post by Jaysun »

Whenever opening a htm file from the hard drive a yellow Information Bar appears always on the top line of the browser.

When opening a file from the c: drive via a command such as:

Code: Select all

c:\program files\pwb\pwb.exe "c:\program files\epl\menu.htm" /ini="c:\program files\epl\menu.ini"
the information bar states: "To help protect your security, your web browser has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer, click here for options..."

If I click on the bar and choose "Allow Blocked content..." then the Information Bar goes away, but if I close the window and run the command to open it again the Information Bar pops up again.

If I open the same page in IE7 on the same computer, the page opens without showing the Information Bar, so the bar only pops up in PWB.

The Information Bar only started appearing when I updated to PWB 2.10. It did not happen with 2.09 even with IE7 installed.

The htm file that I am opening does use JavaScript and the window.external.PWBJavaExecute function to run applications on the hard drive when links are clicked.
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This is part of the Windows XP SP 2, and Windows Vista security features that is enabled in PWB v2.10. For IE you have checked the "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" in the Internet Options on the Advanced tab in the Security section.

To disable the security features in PWB v2.10 as in PWB v2.09, add the following to your INI file.

[Browser]
EnableIEFeatures=False

--Scott

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Post by Jaysun »

I already tried enabling "Allow active content to run files on My Computer" and the Information Bar still pops up, but only in PWB and not IE.

I much prefer the "EnableIEFeatures=False" method. It works perfectly. Thanks!

The ini file was the first place I went looking, so why not leave EnableIEFeatures=True in the default ini file?
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PWB does not follow the Internet Options settings because this setting adds an "iexplorer.exe" DWORD value to the Windows Registry instead of a generic setting that shuts it off for all forms of the web browser control.

Most people seem to want the pop-up blocking and other security features enabled by default.

One other thing you can do is share the folder with the HTML pages on the local computer, add the share to the Local Intranet sites, and access the files through the share. This prevents the warning from showing.

--Scott