Problem with Shell bar

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

rheckber
Observer
Observer

Problem with Shell bar

Post by rheckber »

I'm refreshing our public machines and I've updated them to IE7 and XP SP3. I also updated PWB from 2.09 to 2.10.4.

As soon as I installed 2.10 I ran into a problem. After updating (using ini update) I can no longer see the address bar nor the entire browser display. It is a blank screen with just my toolbar icons. I tried the default ini and it worked so I started adding settings in one at a time from my custom v2.09 ini (that is working fine on my other machines) and when I changed the setting to ShellBar=True in the default ini I was able to duplicate the problem.

It is if the shell bar was too big. I tried playing with various settings but can't get it to work properly. I need the Shellbar as it contains all my shortcuts. Like I said, this same ini file works fine on my current machines. I can send you a copy if you like.

Any ideas?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This is the first I have heard of this type of problem.

Please zip your entire PWB folder and send it to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com and I will take a look at it.

--Scott
Last edited by Scott on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cvorton
Participant
Participant

Post by cvorton »

Was a solution ever posted for this? I have a similiar problem with the Shellbar and using SetPWB: I can click on an Internet shortcut or a link and it will come up properly just once - if I try it a second time then the Public Web Browser v2 comes up with no address bar and without the webpage. If I logoff and then log back clicking on the shortcut or link will work again, but only once. If I change "Show Shell Bar" to False in the PWB.INI, then it works every time.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Sorry, we usually try to post the fix back to the forums so it is complete, and since this is from almost a year ago it may be easier to start over.

Please send a copy of your INI file as an attachment to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com and I will take a look at it.

You are using shortcuts to web site in the Shellbar, similar to the Favorites is that correct?

What version of PWB including the minor revision number, for example PWB v2.10.5, are you using?

--Scott
Last edited by Scott on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cvorton
Participant
Participant

Post by cvorton »

Scott,

I just sent you a copy of our PWB.ini file as an attachment to an email from corton@saclibrary.org.

No, actually I placed shortcuts for opening a 2nd instance of PWB and for Windows Live Messenger on the Shellbar.

We are currently using PWB v2.10.4. We tried using v2.10.5 a couple of months ago, but the computers kept "locking up". It seemed to have some kind of conflict with our Norton Antivirus Corporate version 10, but it could have been something else.

Curtis

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What is in the "Target", and "Start in", lines of your shortcut that starts a second instance of PWB form the Shellbar?

Is is possible to send a screen shot of what you are seeing to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com?

--Scott

cvorton
Participant
Participant

Post by cvorton »

Scott,

Actually, the shortcuts I created have really nothing to do with the problem - even if I remove the shortcuts from the Shellbar subfolder, but leave the "Show Shellbar" setting on I still get the problem.

I'm emailing screenshots of the PWB working normally when run once from an Internet shortcut link and also when I try running it a second time. Keep in mind that this does only happen when the ManageIE software is also installed.

Curtis

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Having the Shellbar enabled without Shortcuts in the Shelbar folder can cause this type of issue.

I believe the problem is with the Shellbar path. If you do not have the "Start In" set in the shortcut that opens PWB, the startup folder can be random and PWB may not be able to find the Shellbar folder.

So either use the full path to the Shellbar folder in the INI file, or set the Start In path in the shortcut that starts PWB.

[Files]
ShellBarFolder=C:\Path to folder\ShellBar

Using the full path to the Shellbar folder is probably the better option.

--Scott

cvorton
Participant
Participant

Post by cvorton »

That resolved it by putting the exact path statement to the Shellbar folder in the INI! You might want to include the default full path in any future versions of the INI file.

Thanks!

Curtis

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Unfortunately we do not know the full path when people install PWB, and using the full path is mentioned in the PWB manual (PWBv2.rtf).

I think your situation is unique, most people use a shortcut to a web site in the Shellbar which opens a PWB window instead of opening a second PWB instance from the Shellbar. Setting the Start In path in the shortcut should also fix the problem as PWB would be able to find the Shellbar folder when it started from the PWB directory.

--Scott

cvorton
Participant
Participant

Post by cvorton »

We will be using a new "PC reservation" system shortly and we wanted it to make it easier for patrons to open a second browser window, which is why a shortcut was desired on the Shellbar. The "Start In" path was already correct, so entering the full path to the Shellbar in the INI file was the solution. This would probably have to be done for the "Favorites" and any other entries in the INI file too if they were also being used.

Again, thanks very much for your help on this.
Curtis

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you for your input and help in resolving the issue.

I added making the Shellbar pathing in related to how you have PWB setup a bit more robust to our todo list.

--Scott